What's new

My 5s and Wifes SE.....

LeeB

Reaction score
I/We are very much not iPhone savvy. I/We have iCloud accounts on our phones and can get to iCloud.com. All we want to back up is Contacts and Calendars...... (No Photos or Music or anything else).....

I/We are not positive what switches need to be GREEN can someone Please help...

Also is there away to MAKE sure our stuff is being backed up? Is it Instant?

Thanks LeeB

Almost everything that's green in Settings - iCloud, is synced by iCloud. So are contacts and calendar events. Both are not backed up by iCloud, because they already are in iCloud. Synced means: as soon as you change or remove a contact or calendar event on one device, it will also change on all your other devices connected to the same iCloud account.

Backups to iCloud can happen automatically once a day. Your device has to be connected to Wi-Fi, and a power source (charging), and it needs to be turned on. You can also backup manually, if you wish to.

If you wish to backup contacts and calendars, backup to iTunes on your computer.

Almost everything that's green in Settings - iCloud, is synced by iCloud. So are contacts and calendar events. Both are not backed up by iCloud, because they already are in iCloud. Synced means: as soon as you change or remove a contact or calendar event on one device, it will also change on all your other devices connected to the same iCloud account.

Backups to iCloud can happen automatically once a day. Your device has to be connected to Wi-Fi, and a power source (charging), and it needs to be turned on. You can also backup manually, if you wish to.

If you wish to backup contacts and calendars, backup to iTunes on your computer.

Oops I was trying to use your quote and ask with-in it but it didn't work. So I'll scroll and try and do it that way.. Thanks for answering my post however I guess I really do not understand how iCloud works it seems to work fine on my wifes SC but not on my 5s. The SC works as you say automatically here st home and connected to WiFi.. I have tried to manually send the 5s to the cloud with no luck.... I guess I need to find a teenager to look at them.....

Thanks for your time LeeB

My pleasure. :)

What was the problem when you tried to backup to iCloud manually? Did it not complete the backup, or did it need quite some time?

iCloud can be used for syncing content between devices connected to it. This means, e.g., you can take a photo on an iPhone, and it will appear online, on www.icloud.com, and on every other device (also PC with iCloud installed) connected to the account. When you add a contact on one device, it will automatically appear on all other devices with the same iCloud ID installed. When you add or remove a bookmark in Safari, the same will happen on all the other devices with the same iCloud ID.

And iCloud can also be used for backups. These backups don't include things that are synced by iCloud: contacts, calendars, bookmarks, iCloud Photo Library, just as an example.

When I did the manual backup (on the 5s) actually nothing happened, it took like 3 minutes but nothing was sent (as far as I can tell). I do know I have at least one new number added to my contacts and it never went. Somehow someway when I first got my iCloud account it DL'd ALL my contacts including some really old ones but that was when I had not done the update to 10.???.. I did a manual edit on the 5s AND on iCloud to get my current contacts correct (up to date).. I just now downloaded itunes and got into my account (which I have not been to in a few years) yes shame on me but the few songs I bought are still there YAY...
I am thinking for simplicity I'll just try and back up my contacts to itunes, if I can figure out how.

I'll just leave the SC alone because it seems to be working by sending contacts and calendar to the iCloud..

The SC and the 5s each have their own iCloud accounts (icloud and itunes) the only account we have in common is our Main Verizon account.

Thanks again LeeB