What's new

Moving over to Mac land

ardchoille said:
I know exactly how you feel, I've been stashing money away too. Yes, we must be strong.. that "buy the cheapest model the moment you have the money" is contagious, lol.

iPhone - 16GB, White
Apple TV - 3rd generation
MacBook - Coming soon!

Yes. The surprise announcements by Apple have changed my aspirations considerably. I had intended to buy a 15" MBP, and add a 27" Thunderbolt Display to it later. However, the release of the new iMac changed all of that. First up will be an iPad mini for my son, followed by a 13" MBP. I'm not going for top specs, but I do want a large flash drive, mainly for music and movies when I'm on the road. Then I'm going all out with the iMac. That will take most of next year to realize, but the thought of becoming Windows-free will keep me going.

Of course, by then my iPad 2 will be getting long in the tooth, and will probably be joined by whatever is current at the time. The 2 will then become my truck GPS system. I'll strip it of everything else and use the full 16Gb to download satellite maps for the areas of British Columbia and Alberta where I do most of my work.

Should be an interesting and expensive couple of years.

I have the iMac and really like it but with the advances in the things they have done with the Mac mini, if you have a decent monitor to hook it to you will definitely get one for a better price than the iMac. Either way you will love it.

I have the iMac and really like it but with the advances in the things they have done with the Mac mini, if you have a decent monitor to hook it to you will definitely get one for a better price than the iMac. Either way you will love it.

Yeah, looks like the Mac mini will be the best choice for me. I'm planning to browse monitors at the local electronics stores today.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the new iMac. I'll give an arm and a leg.... No just a leg for it (I need both arms to type). It's so beautiful *drool*. But the transition isn't really that easy for me. I literally just stopped at a Barnes and Nobles on my way home to pick up a few books on transitioning to the Mac world from Windows and Mac for Dummies

KevinJS said:
The pennies have been hitting the piggy bank hard. I'm about half way to my MBP. It's going to be hell saving enough to spec it how I want it. I just know I'll be tempted to go and buy the cheapest model as soon as I have the available cash. I must be strong!

Yeah, the folks at Best Buy are probably looking forward to the day that I buy a MBP and stop visiting three times a week to drool over them, lol.