What's new

Modify stock contact search to search by first initial + last name?

eepmatt

Reaction score
The biggest (only?) thing I miss about my Palm phones was the awesome way it would search for contacts. You would type the person's first initial then the first couple of letters of the last name, and usually by only three letters it would have narrowed down the search results to the single exact contact you were looking for.

For instance, if I had a "John Ryan" I was looking for, searching for either the first or last name obviously would result in a lot of false matches. But searching for "jry" would get me exactly where I wanted to go in just three keystrokes.

I've searched around for a tweak that would bring this algorithm to the stock iphone search, but can't find one. Does anyone know if one exists?

Just type the letters of their name in order. If you were looking for John Ryan you would type "joh" instead of "jry" and it will immediately pull up anyones name that starts with "joh"

Just type the letters of their name in order. If you were looking for John Ryan you would type "joh" instead of "jry" and it will immediately pull up anyones name that starts with "joh"

I don't think you understand. Typing "Joh" is going to match to a lot of contacts. It's going to pull up every "John" in my book. It's also going to pull up all the people with the last name of "Johanson" in my contact list. What was so brilliant about the first initial-last name algorithm was how efficiently it zeroed in on the correct results. Your way of doing it normally takes twice as many keystrokes as the "Palm" way of doing it. That's why I'd love to have the tweak....