Mobile Hotspot - will I know if a call or text is coming in?

Discussion in 'Verizon iPhone' started by hotspot75, Nov 11, 2012.

1. hotspot75

hotspot75 New Member

Question: Does anyone know if, while using the Mobile Hotspot on the iPhone (for a laptop or tablet, etc.), is there any indication if a call or text is coming through? In other words, if a call/text is coming through, does anything pop up on the iPhone screen asking if you want to pick up the call (or reply to a text) and disconnect your internet connection? Thanks for your help!

(p.s.: I have not ordered an iPhone 5 yet...but will do so soon on my Verizon plan....)
  2. Skull One

Skull One Super Moderator Staff Member

Always know this about an iPhone. It is a cellular phone first and a microcomputer second. So you will get exactly the same alerts with or without hotspot turned on.

As for maintaining the internet connection during a call, that comes down to two factors.

If the hotspot is going thru LTE, then in theory, yes it will maintain the data connection. But I haven't personally tested it yet.

If on 3G however, the hotspot has to be suspended based on my past experince with it.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hotspot75

hotspot75 New Member

Thanks very much for replying to my post!

I'm at the point where I won't mind if I'll have to disconnect the internet connection if a call is coming in (if on 3G, for example).... my biggest concern is whether I'll receive the notification that a call/text is coming through and that I'll have the option to answer (and disconnect).

By the way, I asked the same question to a Verizon.com rep via "Chat" and they said I would "probably" receive a notification on my phone. When I called my local Verizon Store (the corporate store...not an agency) to ask the question, the Verizon employee said I would NOT receive any notification. I sought out this forum with the hope that actual experienced users could reply with experience -- so I appreciate your feedback!! :)
  4. Deckyon

Deckyon New Member

You will receive notification of a call and texts. I do and I have mobile hotspot and a verizon iphone.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. hotspot75

hotspot75 New Member

Thank you Deckyon! :)