What's new

Missing Call Waiting Option

kBodhi

Reaction score
iPhone 5, did all my updates and resets.

Settings > Phone > Nothing (No call waiting option(s) )

I'm so frustrated. When I'm on a call, it sends any incoming calls straight to voicemail.

Any suggestions?

This is all it gives me:
$stupidphone.jpg

What would iPhone have to do with services? That would be Verizon. Check your services on line at Verizon and you should see call waiting there. I can't believe you don't get call waiting with the iPhone.

Hmm, I have VZW and checking my Settings>Phone I see no options for call wait listed, but just now checked and I definitely DO have call wait. My wife called me, while talking to her I used my office desk phone to call my cell. Immediately I hear a BEEP on my cell, looking at the screen I am offered two options: "Ignore" or "Place on Hold and take call". Ignore sent the office phone to my voicemail. Hung up and repeated, this time I pressed option for "place on hold and take call". This switched the call to my office phone. At that time I have several screen options: "swap" as well as "merge calls" and others that my "old brain" can't recall at the moment. ;) But I did note that the "merge calls" option was dimmed out and not available. I'm assuming that was for 3 way calling. I'll look into this further to explore 3-way calling options.

Bottom line on call wait though is a positive, for me at least, on my new iPhone5 and VZW service. I actually like the way the option is presented by the way! Best to be on speakerphone so that you don't need to lose voice contact while pulling the phone from your ear to view your options...

By the way - I do see (in settings) the option to turn "TTY" on or off. Can anyone explain what that is? Touch Tone Yippie??? Hee hee. Seriously - I don't know what that is for, but by default it is "off" on my phone as purchased new.

By the way - I do see (in settings) the option to turn "TTY" on or off. Can anyone explain what that is? Touch Tone Yippie??? Hee hee. Seriously - I don't know what that is for, but by default it is "off" on my phone as purchased new.

TTY = Text Telephones. It is the protocol used by the hearing impaired to handle phone calls with someone that is speaking.

I wonder what the heck is wrong with mine :(

Call waiting is a service independent of all cell phones. You should never find a setting for it on any phone. Please call Verizon (*611) from your iPhone, it is a free call, and ask the service rep to activate call waiting on your line.

Then you may find it on you phone like this
View attachment 8640

Sorry I should have clarified that there are NO Verizon Wireless phones and I am very sure no US phones that have a call waiting setting.

In the US it is handled directly by the Teleco and has since the day it was brought online.

dbplumb: As I stated above, on my iPhone5, using VZW service - my phone DOES NOT show the options you portray. No call waiting nor call forwarding (well, I do see "call forward disable toggle switch - but it's under "Verizon Services"), so I can't turn mine on or off. At least - not in the manner you apparently have on your phone. So, which phone (3, 4, 4s, 5) and service do you have that is showing these options for you? I see the exact same screen as posted by the OP in his opening post.

Skull - thanks for that explanation! :)

OP: When you are talking and a call comes in - do you see any options presented on your screen? What exactly shows on your screen when a call comes in?
Also - you mentioned you "did all your updates".. May I ask just what updates you had on an iPhone5? I was under the impression all fives come with iOS6 and to my knowledge we've been offered no updates to this yet.

@cuskit. Mine is a 4s but as Skull explained these services and the way they are presented are carrier dependent.
If you look at my screenshot again you will see my carrier at the bottom 👀

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Of course it does. You are not on a US cellular carrier. Non-US carriers went with a different system to accomplish the same goal.

Let me point something out for everyone following along. The US invented the baseline phone system (POTS). It added features to the system at the PBX level so that regular users had no access to them unless access was paid for. IE Telcos where using tone based commands at the operator level two decades before touch tone dialing was main stream for the US. Heck the US allowed CDMA to be implemented even though GSM was superior. Come on, if that isn't the single largest clue that the US FCC are idiots, nothing will convince you.

So yes folks, every cellular provider can do things differently. But Verizon has a very strict setup and the iOS devices on them follow a very strict set of rules. Hence why I posted they should call *611.

BTW I am still waiting to see the result of that phone call to Verizon. Which at present is the only way to resolve this issue, that I am aware of.

Well, from what I read call waiting is available. I got that in the instruction book. You press and hold the button and the other person is put on on hold Talk to the one person and you press and hold to get back to other person (I think).