What's new

Message Subject-Field

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
If I turn MMS off in Settings > Messages in my iPhone 3G, no subject-field is available above the actual text field. If I turn MMS on, however, I am offered the choice of having the subject field or not. If I choose to have it, it duly appears when I come to write and send a message.

The mystery is that if I enter anything at all — even just one letter — in the subject-field and then write my message in the text-field and tap 'Send', the progress bar stops just before the end, the message does not get sent and an error is flagged up. Can anyone explain the mystery? Is it a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

You're able to send messages with a subject field to people with an Apple device (I suppose those with an iPhone). The message will be delivered successfully and without problems.

If you try to send a message with subject field to a device other than an iDevice, it will not be delivered. That's why you get the error.

How weird! How very weird! Apple's design and business philosophies are mostly brilliant, but sometimes bizarre! But in fact I tried sending a text with something in the subject-field to my own iPhone and it did not go. Normally sending a text to myself does work — not that I make a practice of it except when testing something.

PS: I have just tried to send a message with a subject-field to someone else who has an iPhone, and even that did not get sent. So the philosophy is, perhaps, even weirder: you can choose whether to have a subject-field, but if you do your message won't get sent — to anyone!

My son has an iPhone, and I was able to send a message with subject field to him. I've also been able to send a message to my iCloud address from my iPhone. So it definitely works for me.

As far as I know your software is not the latest. Maybe this wasn't possible with your iOS yet?

Thanks, J.A. My iOS is, indeed, not the latest. It is 4.2.1, but that is the latest that will work on an iPhone 3G.

But given that situation, is it not weird — it's the only word I can think of to describe it — that the option to have a subject-field is provided in that phone and system, when its only effect is to stop messages from being sent?

To use this feature, MMS has to be set up on your device. I can find it in Settings - Cellular - Cellular Data in iOS 8.4. I hope there's something similar on your device. Check to see if it's set up at all.

On my iPhone 3G it is in Settings > Messages > MMS Messaging. I have it turned on. But now that I have tried to use it (without subject field) by first sending a plain text to myself (that went OK) and then sending a message with a photo attached, also to myself, I find that it cannot be sent! It seems that not only the subject-field option, but MMS itself, are provided on the phone, but without the means to make them work!

On my iPhone 3G it is in Settings > Messages > MMS Messaging. I have it turned on. But now that I have tried to use it (without subject field) by first sending a plain text to myself (that went OK) and then sending a message with a photo attached, also to myself, I find that it cannot be sent! It seems that not only the subject-field option, but MMS itself, are provided on the phone, but without the means to make them work!
I found this MMS guide which includes a troubleshooting section. How to Enable MMS Messaging for iPhone 11 Steps with Pictures
I found this MMS guide which includes a troubleshooting section. How to Enable MMS Messaging for iPhone 11 Steps with Pictures

Thanks very much, SciFan57, I found this interesting, but it mostly applies to later iPhone models than mine. I did, however, try checking that I can load webpages with wifi turned off (as suggested in the material you linked), and found that I had run out of data allowance on my mobile-phone account. So I shall try using MMS again when I have restored my provision of data.

I'm glad you finally figured out what the problem was. Sometimes the solution is hiding in plain sight and is still hard to see. Let us know if MMS then works properly.