What's new

Message requiring me to change passcode on iPhone 6 Plus

Puzzled

Reaction score
iPhone 6 Plus with latest iOS update

I picked up my iPhone 6Plus to turn off the alarm this morning and there was a message saying I needed to change my passcode. Had no choice. I changed it to amnew 4 digit code.

I got worried it was a hack or something and went to change the passcode again, manually, using the settings. Using that I am forced to use a 6 digit passcode. I am not so sure I will be able to remember it and the touch thingy never works, so I can't rely on that to let me use my phone.

Do I need to worry that the message I received in the morning was a legit Apple message and the new 4 digit code was not started by a hacker? If I forget the 6 digit passcode, I know that touch thingy will not work.

I set that touch thingy up and it just does not work, even though it says it scanned properly.

That pop up message was not a legitimate message from Apple, it's spam that abuses the system that runs pop up ads. I've never changed my password because of this pop up, which I've received several times. The last time it happened to me I activated Siri and said to turn on airplane mode. Once airplane mode was on, I force closed Safari, than closed all tabs and deleted the browsing history. After this was done, I turned off airplane mode and Safari was working properly.

You should have no problem resetting your password again to a six digit one. You can then set up Touch ID.

When you go to change your passcode and it's asking for the new 6 digit passcode, notice the "Passcode Options." Tap that, and it will give you the option for a 4-Digit Numeric Code. Use that and you don't have to enter a 6 digit code.

I changed the passcode to the 6 digits. I am finding that touch thingy is working much better and have been using it today. I did not rescan the finger tips, but they are working better. I read some place that the iOS 9 did improve the responsiveness of that, but not positive that is why. I am confident that the 6 digit code I created can be memorized and I told my husband what it was in case I forget and the touch thingy is squirrelly again and doesn't work. I do like the security of the six digits. I have never lost a device or left a divice some place, but you never know.

Thanks to you both for your quick replies.

Well, I got that message box to change my passcode again. It said I had to change it in 60 minutes. I had the options of closing the msg box or continuing, just like before. I closed it. I went to settings and temporarily turned the passcode requirement off. A few minutes later I turned it on again and used that 6 digit code that I know I will remember but is not indicative to any birthdays, anniversaries, etc. I set my timer to 40 minutes so I can check my phone to see if I get the message again. Very tired of this little game. I googled and did find some people with this issue back in 2015. Nothing later. It was from Apple then because they were trying to get people to move beyond the 4 digit. I am not so sure I am buying that. I have to check an official Apple site. But, I don't find any posts about this dated 2016. This is weird.

An addition to this post: I just checked again and found numerous reports of this by people with the phones and pads into May 2016. I also found an section on the Apple site where you could email them an issue and emailed them and said that this needs to be fixed ASAP. I told them I was looking at Samsung phones in case I continue having this issue because if I have to completely turn off my passcode to be able to use my phone, I am done. I can't think up 6 digit passcodes everyday. That was true, my husband and were seriously looking at their products today.

Someone said it is a bug and this was only supposed to be for business phones that have exchanges or something and that somehow this update was installed onto some iPads and iPhones when the new iOS 9.3 (?) was released. But even if that is true, I changed my passcode to a 6 digit code yesterday, why the popup screen on my phone today? If I don't change it, my phone will lock up. Not happy here. We will see. Unfortunately, they don't reply back to you. I asked them if they could tell me if it was a hack or a bug. Not sure if they will. If I do hear, will let you know.

Has anyone else had that screen show up on their iPhone or iPad? It hasn't appeared on the iPad Air, iPad 2, iPad Mini or iPhone 5 that we have.

Last edited:
iPhone 6 Plus: new to this forum. It was early in the morning and I was halfway asleep when a popup forced me to change the passcode on my iPhone. Which as an idiot I did . If forced to go from a 6 digits passcode to a 4. I want to go back to a 6 digit passcode but there is no option anywhere not even at the change the password screen. What can I do to go back to 6 digit passcode?

I meant to write above the is no "Passcode Option" anywhere not even in the change the passcode screen. Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

That pop up you received was spam, designed to steal your password. Apple does not send pop ups telling you to change your password. If you go to Settings>Touch ID & Passcode, enter your existing passcode and scroll down the list to Change Passcode. Tap on it and enter your passcode. On the next screen, just above the number pad is Passcode options. Tap on it and from the pop up list select Custom Numeric Code. Enter your new code, which can be 6 digits, then tap the next button at the top right. On the next screen, re-enter the new passcode and tap the done button at the top right. Your new passcode should be set and working.

I meant to write above the is no "Passcode Option" anywhere not even in the change the passcode screen. Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.
Once you log into Touch ID & Passcode and tap on Change Passcode, you have to enter your old passcode before the passcode options button becomes visible.

Once you log into Touch ID & Passcode and tap on Change Passcode, you have to enter your old passcode before the passcode options button becomes visible.
Once you log into Touch ID & Passcode and tap on Change Passcode, you have to enter your old passcode before the passcode options button becomes visible.[/QUOTE

Thanks it worked. I also changed my apple.com password right after I was forced to change the passcode to 4 digits by the spam. Another Question if the hacker/spammer have gotten hold of my passcode what would they do? What could happen to those people that don't have passcode? I know I'm asking beyond the scope of the thread. I deeply appreciate your help solving this problem.

Thanks it worked. I also changed my apple.com password right after I was forced to change the passcode to 4 digits by the spam. Another Question if the hacker/spammer have gotten hold of my passcode what would they do? What could happen to those people that don't have passcode? I know I'm asking beyond the scope of the thread. I deeply appreciate your help solving this problem.
What they really want is to get your Apple ID and password in order to download iTunes content at your expense. Some people may use the same password for their iPhone and iTunes, making it easy for the thief.

Also, if somebody were to get your Apple ID and passcode and used it to acquire iTunes content, you would get an email from Apple to let you know that a new device was used to download iTunes content. I get the same email whenever I download iTunes content for the first time on a new device.