What's new

May Return my 4S Due to Battery Life

I've been having lots of problem with my battery, did a full reset and so far so good.

I went to apple to complain about battery life....twice. They gave me another 4s and I am sorry to say it is no better than the last one...could even be worse. Not sure if it's location services or blue tooth that is causing the significant drain. Will try process of elimination.

1. Coquefer - I have no idea what you said....

&

2. I have noticed that when I take my phone off the charger in the morning (I put it on the charger at about 10pm or so and take it off about 5:30am), it is at 95-99%.... almost never at 100%. This is on the original charger, and I have already ran the battery to empty and charged it to full once. Now it rarely goes to 100%.

Any thoughts?

Take care,
Rob

He was talking about the iPhone 5 and the A5 chip in French. No relevance To the thread

I plan on returning the phone this morning even though my battery is MUCH better. Turning off this many notifications and location services is again, a COMPROMISE. Too many compromises in this phone. In the end it really comes down to not being able to read the phone. The screen is too small and the enlarged browser screen does not auto fit the page within the margins. Frankly, I am amazed that Apple could be in the 4th or so generation of the I phone and still not have this issue addressed. It is kind of like buying a new Toyota that does not have air conditioning. Does everyone need it? No. Is it now considered a basic function and standard equipment? Yes. I guess I have gotten too old and this phone is for people who want to be part of the Apple scene and have very good eyes. This old fart (51) is going back to Android, where my needs are better addressed. Thank you to all the nice people who helped me try to resolve my issues on this forum. I enjoyed talking with you and am sorry that I could not stay on board with the phone. I genuinely wanted to keep it.

my opinion on users who complain about battery issues. i feel it is the same as when people complain about gas prices and the cost of gas or owning a car. if you drive a car/ or ride a motorcycle you pay for it. you are already paying so much money for the vehicle and you want to complain something so little as gas prices? i personally have 2 suvs which are both v6 awd cars. i do own a motorcycle but i get like 45 miles a gallon as compared to other bikes which you get 80 plus miles. i do not complain about gas and i drive/ride around for fun and when i feel like it. i do not complain about insurance or anything. so in simple terms i am simply saying that you are buying a very advanced phone which very great features, so what do you expect? the battery life to be as good as a blackberrry which has no touch screen which gives it at least 1-2 hours more of battery life. if you are going to complain about battery life then either buy a battery case for the iphone or get rid of the iphone and get a phone with less features and a better battery life.

/rant

I plan on returning the phone this morning even though my battery is MUCH better. Turning off this many notifications and location services is again, a COMPROMISE. Too many compromises in this phone. In the end it really comes down to not being able to read the phone. The screen is too small and the enlarged browser screen does not auto fit the page within the margins. Frankly, I am amazed that Apple could be in the 4th or so generation of the I phone and still not have this issue addressed. It is kind of like buying a new Toyota that does not have air conditioning. Does everyone need it? No. Is it now considered a basic function and standard equipment? Yes. I guess I have gotten too old and this phone is for people who want to be part of the Apple scene and have very good eyes. This old fart (51) is going back to Android, where my needs are better addressed. Thank you to all the nice people who helped me try to resolve my issues on this forum. I enjoyed talking with you and am sorry that I could not stay on board with the phone. I genuinely wanted to keep it.

This is the first post I have read that properly justified an Android device over an Apple device. Well said.

It was a pleasure conversing with you and I hope you find the exact device you need.

Good luck and don't feel like you can't still post here.

my opinion on users who complain about battery issues. i feel it is the same as when people complain about gas prices and the cost of gas or owning a car. if you drive a car/ or ride a motorcycle you pay for it. you are already paying so much money for the vehicle and you want to complain something so little as gas prices? i personally have 2 suvs which are both v6 awd cars. i do own a motorcycle but i get like 45 miles a gallon as compared to other bikes which you get 80 plus miles. i do not complain about gas and i drive/ride around for fun and when i feel like it. i do not complain about insurance or anything. so in simple terms i am simply saying that you are buying a very advanced phone which very great features, so what do you expect? the battery life to be as good as a blackberrry which has no touch screen which gives it at least 1-2 hours more of battery life. if you are going to complain about battery life then either buy a battery case for the iphone or get rid of the iphone and get a phone with less features and a better battery life.

/rant

You missed the entire point of moparharn position. His primary issue is screen size without the ability to auto-flow resized text. Which is a 100% valid complaint. Apple should have fixed this issue in iOS 4. To not have it fixed in iOS 5 is almost criminal. While moparharn was trying to get around that issue he also discovered a battery issue. Which at present, I am confirming does it exist. And no matter how I approach my research, I can't begin to explain what people are seeing with the 4S. It is currently defying all logic. Even I am seeing poor to bad battery life between tests and yet I have other tests that show great battery life.

Since moparharn has the ability to switch phones for free, I agree it is in his best interest to walk away from the iPhone, at present, and switch to Android. It is both logical and defensible based on the facts at hand. How many new posters here can claim doing that? I believe moparharn is the first.

well skull one i wasnt actually trying to reply to moparharn because he is not the OP. i was trying to give my reasoning to why the battery issue or lack of; shouldnt be really complained about. you can not simply have everything you want. and if another device fills your needs then you should stay with that device.

As the OP, I must say my battery life has stabilized and improved. On this replacement, or SECOND 4S phone, after a couple drain-to-below 20% and then full cycle charges, I said %#^! it, and decided to treat the 4S as I had my 4. I'm leaving wifi on, bluetooth on (so my truck finds it), and cellular data (3G) on all weekend, notifications and Siri on, mail fetching every 30 mins, with 5 mail accounts. Last weekend I used my phone normally, with all the aforementioned items running in the background, brightness at 50% or so, notifications on, Siri on, and I ended the day at or above 40% each day with my usual light to moderate use (playing with the phone on honeymoon period is winding down). In fact, Friday night I intended to do a full drain and charge, so I sat up in bed watching episodes on tv.com to drain it since 6:30 am to 9:30 pm and I was still at over 40%. This is better than I require.

Here at work in my interior high rise office I don't have wifi or the need for bluetooth, so I've turned wifi and bluetooth off, and even cell data since I know I have poor 3G reception. as of 10ish this morning, 5 hours off charger, I'm at 97% with a couple weather checks, one email and one text sent, update posted on my "Loseit" app....

I had restored--nervously--from the backup of my FIRST 4S, which had serious standby battery drain. I really think the battery needs to be treated how you intend to use it and to go through some deep cycle drains and recharges. At least for me, it seems even this SECOND device started out poorer and has stabilized somewhat. Is it as good as my 4 was? No. Maybe I'll end the day at 40% whereas I could end at 65% with my 4. I feel comfortable enough now that I gave my 4 to my stepson to take back to college this weekend.

well skull one i wasnt actually trying to reply to moparharn because he is not the OP. i was trying to give my reasoning to why the battery issue or lack of; shouldnt be really complained about. you can not simply have everything you want. and if another device fills your needs then you should stay with that device.

My apologies.

And at present, I feel the battery drain issue is a design flaw in the 4S right now. But I am unable to pin it down to the CPU, GPU or even iOS. If this was Android, I would hack the kernel to get reporting data for clock speed usage as well as each applications actual CPU time. But alas, I can't find a way to get that data from iOS and I refuse to jailbreak. At best I can only get the current "in memory" since load time. Which is useless for testing.

My next idea is to write a few programs for iOS and use them for testing since I can control the exact nature of the app.

I posted this in another thread, but this one appears more appropriate as it's more closely monitored and more relevant.

Here's my experience: Last night I unplugged at 11pm after a full day of charging. It sat on my nightstand all night with no use (all apps were shut down as well). When I woke up this morning at 6:30, the battery was at 77%. As I type now, it's at 36% under only mild usage. I've lived with it so far, but it just doesn't seem right.

I posted this in another thread, but this one appears more appropriate as it's more closely monitored and more relevant.

Here's my experience: Last night I unplugged at 11pm after a full day of charging. It sat on my nightstand all night with no use (all apps were shut down as well). When I woke up this morning at 6:30, the battery was at 77%. As I type now, it's at 36% under only mild usage. I've lived with it so far, but it just doesn't seem right.

If you would be so kind and do those exact steps again, except this time would you reboot the phone prior to unplugging it? Please make sure you put the phone in the same place as well.

I am actively trying to figure this issue out and all input is helpful.

Skull One said:
If you would be so kind and do those exact steps again, except this time would you reboot the phone prior to unplugging it? Please make sure you put the phone in the same place as well.

You bet! I'll give that a shot tonight and report back tomorrow. Thanks!

OK, so I did that. Rebooted then unplugged around 10:15pm or so. No use overnight... At 630am, I was at 90%. I check my overnight emails on the way into work, and here at 8am it's at 81%. The Usage stats:
Usage: 1hr 7min
Standby: 9hr 48min

Let me know what you think.