What's new

Matte Black iPhone 7 Owners Complaining About Chipped Paint

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Reports of iPhone 7 matte black chipping.JPG

9to5 Mac has a report today about a growing number of matte black iPhone 7 owners who are complaining that their phones are becoming chipped, particularly on the back and sides.

In the various posts about the issue on multiple pages on the Apple Support forums, people are saying that even when they use a case, the phones are still getting chipped on their edges and on their backs. And it seems that the iPhone 7 Plus is particularly affected, more so than the standard version. Something very similar happened to the black iPhone 5 when it first launched.

At the moment, it seems that not much is being done about the problem, with users complaining that Apple Support has not been very helpful and has not been willing to repair or replace any of the chipped phones, claiming that the damage is due to a cosmetic flaw.

“I have contacted Apple care and they asked to send a few images of the problem and after 12 days they told me it is not covered under warranty since it is under cosmetic damage,” said one disgruntled owner.

“The paint is starting to chip at the speaker grille and it is very disappointing from Apple,” said another. “I have never dropped or knocked the phone against anything.”

Some of the owners said that the problem began immediately after they purchased their new phones.

Source: Growing number of matte black iPhone 7 users report chipped paint on edges & back of device

Mine is matte black and no case only a small bumper around the edge.
I have it in my pocket together with other things like my Xperia that has no case and even other items seeks itself down in my pocket and I'm amazed that my 7 is not showing any signs of wear other than hardly noticeable thin scratches on the shiny apple at the back.
But my Sony is showing up a camera lens that is almost matte. Seems it's made of plastic when rest of that phone is glass front and rear and has no major problems at all to live without a case any longer.
Had a case before and after I took it of the lens got scratched on my Sony.
Not a sign of paint wear or wear on the lens on my 7.
So I wonder what happened to these other phones.