What's new

MacBook Pro Retina

Yes its interesting, Im not sure i would ever want to do it though, Still you never know, Have you tried calibrating your retina screen yet? You can get quite a vivid effect.....Its rather like when you get a new tv and you go through the settings and adjust it to your liking.

Just got my clear Speck case from Amazon, I got some bits of something or other underneath even though it looked clean before i snapped it on, Thats when i discovered its really hard to get it off again, I wonder if theres a knack to it.....

Just got my clear Speck case from Amazon, I got some bits of something or other underneath even though it looked clean before i snapped it on, Thats when i discovered its really hard to get it off again, I wonder if theres a knack to it.....
I've never taken mine off.

OK, I just tried it. To safely remove the bottom half of the case, gently push the back corners to release the clips there,next spread the side clips just below the side cut outs just enough to release them. You can then gently pry the case away from the rear portion of the bottom, then slide the MacBook to the rear to remove the case bottom. You have to be careful to flex the case only enough to release the clips, any more and you risk cracking the plastic.

To remove the top portion of the case, open the computer and start with the top center clip, then the upper and lower side clips, making sure that the case top doesn't snap back in place. Once the clips are released, gently prying the case away from the lid, starting at the top and working down both sides should let you slip the case off towards the rear. I just tried this on my case and was able to safely remove and replace the case.

When replacing the case, follow the directions that came with it.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Ah thank you for that sci, They advise taking it off once a month to clean under it but i can't see how it would get that dusty, It seems a very snug fit,.

Ah thank you for that sci, They advise taking it off once a month to clean under it but i can't see how it would get that dusty, It seems a very snug fit,.
Maybe picking up and handling the cased MacBook Pro flexes the case just enough to create a minute amount of suction, just enough to suck in a few dust particles.

Maybe picking up and handling the cased MacBook Pro flexes the case just enough to create a minute amount of suction, just enough to suck in a few dust particles.
Maybe, I had a Speck case on my old one for 2 ½ yrs and i didn't take it off until i was selling it and there was no dust or anything under it, It didn't get moved much, I kept it on a lap desk all the time and i rarely took it out of the house, This one will be treated the same way.

I just realised my new MacBook Pro didn't come with an installation disc like my 2011 Pro did, Does anyone know why this is and what would I do if I needed to reinstall my OS for example?

I just realised my new MacBook Pro didn't come with an installation disc like my 2011 Pro did, Does anyone know why this is and what would I do if I needed to reinstall my OS for example?

Mine did not come with any installation disk. I made a copy in TimeMachine as soon as I had everything where I wanted. I do regular backups in Time Machine. If I have an issue I plan to restore via Time Machine.

Mine did not come with any installation disk. I made a copy in TimeMachine as soon as I had everything where I wanted. I do regular backups in Time Machine. If I have an issue I plan to restore via Time Machine.
Thats a good idea, I really should buy a hard drive, I never got around to it somehow, I just tend to forget about Time Machine and it's such a good resource, Does it let you back up say once a week? I wouldn't want to back op every day.

Thats a good idea, I really should buy a hard drive, I never got around to it somehow, I just tend to forget about Time Machine and it's such a good resource, Does it let you back up say once a week? I wouldn't want to back op every day.

I've not done that yet with my MBA either!

I've never taken mine off.

OK, I just tried it. To safely remove the bottom half of the case, gently push the back corners to release the clips there,next spread the side clips just below the side cut outs just enough to release them. You can then gently pry the case away from the rear portion of the bottom, then slide the MacBook to the rear to remove the case bottom. You have to be careful to flex the case only enough to release the clips, any more and you risk cracking the plastic.

To remove the top portion of the case, open the computer and start with the top center clip, then the upper and lower side clips, making sure that the case top doesn't snap back in place. Once the clips are released, gently prying the case away from the lid, starting at the top and working down both sides should let you slip the case off towards the rear. I just tried this on my case and was able to safely remove and replace the case.

When replacing the case, follow the directions that came with it.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator
I noticed dust inside my Speck case all around the edge so following your excellent instructions on removal it was off, cleaned and on again in minutes, Thank sci.