What's new

Love/Hate relationship with my 1st Iphone

oldman_58

Reaction score
It should read more like HATE*3 love 1/2.

There is no way to personalize these phone, the OPS System is so hamstrung and limiting changing Launcher is not allowed adding Widgets of my liking to the desktop is not allowed.
Siding loading is not allowed, I am beginning to feel like I have been absorbed into the continuum and resistance is futile.
For nearly $1400 dollars I should be able to do somethings I want on my phone..

There are a multitude of good things about iPhone but "personalization" is not one of them. What dev thought dumping every downloaded app on the nearest desktop would be a great idea not alphabetized just dumped and of course in the predefined grid, where is the organization, folders is not organizing it makes a bigger mess, how about an App Drawer is that too logical.

A bad cable forced a restore for no good reason, and latest backups were unusable, had to use the 1st backup from weeks ago, As far as I can tell this is truly a waste of good hardware.

What am I missing, maybe i need to be enlightened

You can move your Apps about, put them in alphabetical order if you want, and put them in folders, relegate the least used to the last screen, etc.
You can have whichever widgets available that you want at the swipe of the screen.
There are really a host of customisable features available from Settings if you actually work through them.

Thank you for your response, i'll give that a shot, but i maintain that moving apps around on different screens does not accomplish a unique self created user experience . In the end all apps are still dumped on home screens with no organization what so ever, Its just like that junk drawer we all have in our home, you know the one that seems to catch a plethora of stuff and each time you need something from that drawer you have dig around hoping to find what you seek, same with Apple's Idea of dumping all apps on the closest home screen.

Settings has few if any customization settings, changing the control center and backgrounds, really is not customizing a home screen. Where are the widgets, like weather etc..

The fact that a defective cable can force a restore makes the entire iPhone build suspect, a bad cable should not allow data transfer or charging not force the Phone into restore mode and then force a restore.

The fact that backups are not accessible from any program, unless you go 3rd party for extreme high prices, is worrisome. I like to have a local copy of my backups on my backup device, not my laptop or phone.

Android is light years ahead of this "Walled Garden of Apple", I am going to the Apple store and plead my case maybe they will have pity and take this device back. I am not seeing any chance of being satisfied with this device. Its really strange I use a MAC an would not consider using anything else..

There is an App Drawer in Messages:
C10669B3-FE16-4CA4-B719-BABAF7445F1F.jpeg

If you want to switch between apps quickly, open the App Switcher by swiping upwards from the bottom. You’ll see apps you’ve opened recently:
AB7BA14E-0F5B-41A8-9C6C-8492B70FB3D5.png

Slide to the right/left to find the right one and tap it.

It’s possible to move backups to an external drive:
How to move your iPhone or iPad backups to an external hard drive

Widgets can be added to Today View:
Use widgets on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Have you studied the iPhone user guide? You can find it here. Apple - Support - Manuals

The main reason that other programs can’t access the content of iPhone backups and apps can’t be sideloaded is security. iOS is a more secure operating system and Apple is determined to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Agreed. I will say however that it took me a few months and many hours of “Google” and forum time to learn how to get the phone to work as I wanted. The iPhone was my first smartphone and I have tried android devices and jailbreaking my iPhone but ended up with keeping my iPhone un-jailbroke and secure.

I’d rather stay in Apple’s “Walled Garden” than spend my time worrying about malware on my device:
ANDROID WARNING: Smartphone owners put on alert about terrifying FRANKENSTEIN virus
And the Kernel issue with IOS last week there are always threats of viruses and trojan horses on all operating systems. I carried and rooted my android devices for over 10 years never got a virus or exploited. I wanted a change from Android and thought iPhone might fill the bill so far makes me regret laying out the kind of cash I did just to be frustrated by the Walled Apple OS and the extreme mercenary way Apple apps and Apple work, it is a nickle in the hat routine.

Have you studied the iPhone user guide? You can find it here. Apple - Support - Manuals

The main reason that other programs can’t access the content of iPhone backups and apps can’t be sideloaded is security. iOS is a more secure operating system and Apple is determined to keep it that way.
I disagree the main reason Apple has Walled their products is keeping a captive audience and makes the OS a cash cow.

Besides the link you sent I have seen and went through all of the published fluff from Apple, it was not very informative or helpful.

I dislike being so negative, the phone has a few superior qualities, like printing, very easy to setup and execute. it fits nicely in my pocket, bluetooth connectivity is more reliable.

Last edited:
There is an App Drawer in Messages:
View attachment 40969
If you want to switch between apps quickly, open the App Switcher by swiping upwards from the bottom. You’ll see apps you’ve opened recently:
View attachment 40970
Slide to the right/left to find the right one and tap it.

It’s possible to move backups to an external drive:
How to move your iPhone or iPad backups to an external hard drive

Widgets can be added to Today View:
Use widgets on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

1st that is a link to the Apps not an App drawer that is accessible from any home screen.

That is not additionally copying iCloud backups to a local backup device.

That's not desktop widgets that's apps running in the notification area.

To the original poster, I would have to agree, but....

I came from Android, and it's definitely different. The customization part is nothing compared to Android. Widgets I miss the most. I was frustrated with my first iPhone for a long time. I switched over when the iPhone 4 came out. I told myself when it was time for a new phone, I was going back to Android. Then time goes on, and well, you never really need a new phone like you did with Android. iPhones keep on ticking, don't slow down (not like Androids), don't get glitchy, etc. after 12 months of using. iPhone 4s came out, but my phone was still good. iPhone 5 came out, but my phone still worked like new... What in the world? Anyways, in the end, you really learn to live without the customization part because the phone is so dang reliable with none of the stuff that eventually plagues Android devices. I now have all kinds of iDevices and can't see myself going back to Android. iPhone really is the superior platform. My buddy, still on Android, actually just had to replace his because the slow, glitchy, borderline unusable phone of his barely worked. That never happens with iPhone, like, ever. Only time I replace my iPhone is when I want to. I haven't NEEDED to yet.

...That's not desktop widgets that's apps running in the notification area.
Not in the notification area. You can see notifications when you’re sliding downwards from the top of the screen. To get to Today View, you slide the the right.

I was an Android user for years, before I changed to the iPhone. I don’t miss using an Android device, and I certainly won’t go back.

Not in the notification area. You can see notifications when you’re sliding downwards from the top of the screen. To get to Today View, you slide the the right.

I was an Android user for years, before I changed to the iPhone. I don’t miss using an Android device, and I certainly won’t go back.
What ever its called, its not a convenient spot for anything..

I am sure after a while I will get used to this new environment, but man this is steep learning curve.

Well, it’s a different system. Just give it a try. Maybe you’ll even like it, when you get used to it.

If you need help, we’ll do our best to assist.

Thanks to everyone's input, I ma taking the first step, restoring to factory default, some of the frustration may have stemmed from the Beta software..

Thanks again.