What's new

lost some sounds

Reaction score
Still get sounds on incoming calls, but get no sound on incoming text, email, or Alarmed. Maybe others, but don't know how to check. How do I get sound back?

You can either go to Sounds in Settings, or Notifications. You can choose which sound or note you want associated with your Messages, etc and whether to have them on or off.

Thanks for the reply. Should have added in my original post . . . went to Settings>Notifications. Alarmed, Gmail, and Messages have sounds turned on. Went to Settings>Sounds and Haptics, Vibrate is off, Ringer and Alerts is at Max, Ringtones of each type have a selected tone, Lock sound is on. Everything else is off. Again, phone ringtones work and music works. Alarms, incoming Messages, and Text make no sound. What am I missing?

Have you by any chance activated Do Not Disturb?

Additionally, if your BlueTooth is on, try switching it off.

As far as I can tell, you aren't missing anything. My iPhone 6 did this. I wish I had an answer, it was just something it did on it's own. Sounds for messages and a few other things (luckily never alarm) just didn't work. This would happen for a week or so, then work normal again. Few months later it would do it again. That phone was buggy like that. That's the only phone I've owned that did that. Never figured it out, sometimes sound worked, sometimes not.

As far as I can tell, you aren't missing anything. My iPhone 6 did this. I wish I had an answer, it was just something it did on it's own. Sounds for messages and a few other things (luckily never alarm) just didn't work. This would happen for a week or so, then work normal again. Few months later it would do it again. That phone was buggy like that. That's the only phone I've owned that did that. Never figured it out, sometimes sound worked, sometimes not.
Occasionally this has occurred for me also. Re-boot or force shut down of your iPhone. After it reboots again, it should be fine. I notice this happens to me when I am overdue on my iOS updates.

Occasionally this has occurred for me also. Re-boot or force shut down of your iPhone. After it reboots again, it should be fine. I notice this happens to me when I am overdue on my iOS updates.

Sadly, I've tried that 8-10 times.

My iPhones remember different volumes for different things (like reminders, music, phone etc.) even different volumes for different speakers and different headphones. You may want to check the volume setting for each app/item you can no longer hear.

My iPhones remember different volumes for different things (like reminders, music, phone etc.) even different volumes for different speakers and different headphones. You may want to check the volume setting for each app/item you can no longer hear.

Alarmed has no volume control
Standard text app has no Settings
GMail has no volume control

Alarmed has no volume control
Standard text app has no Settings
GMail has no volume control
Actually, the iPhone remembers how loudly or quietly you last used the tone and it keeps it at that level unless you modify the sound level by raising or lowering the sound with the volume buttons.

Actually, the iPhone remembers how loudly or quietly you last used the tone and it keeps it at that level unless you modify the sound level by raising or lowering the sound with the volume buttons.

OK,babysit me. Incoming text messages make no sounds. How do I increase the volume?