What's new

Lost phone icon, can't access voicemail or keypad

lenjack

Reaction score
This happened about 3 weeks ago. Phone icon was at very bottom of the screen where 4 icons line up. I now only have 3. I can still make calls from my contacts icon, which remains at the bottom of the screen. I'm guessing this is an easy fix. Help.

The app should be on one of your homescreens or in a folder. Afaik, it can't be restricted.

Use Spotlight Search to find it. If it's in a folder, you'll see this when Spotlight Search found it.

Another option would be to go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Reset Home Screen Layout".
This will set the screens back to default, and it will also remove the folders you've set up so far. You'll have to arrange everything again.

Forgot how to use Spotlight Search. Sorry...Please school me. I know it's there, and not lost. Thanks in advance.

Forgot how to use Spotlight Search. Sorry...Please school me. I know it's there, and not lost. Thanks in advance.
Swipe in from the left edge of the first home screen. This brings up spotlight search. Enter phone in the search box and press the search key. If the phone icon is hiding in a folder, spotlight search will show which folder it's in.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Settings/General/Reset/Reset Home Screen Layout

That should flush it out from wherever it is hiding.

(Note to self: Read entire thread before responding. I see now that Johanna had already suggested this.)

Search finds it, to the point where I can use the keypad and voicemail, but doesn't enable me to restore the icon to the bottom of the home screen. Before I reset home screen layout, I may restore from a month old backup first...or walk in to my nearest AT&T store.

Resetting the home screen won't affect anything else, so it's perfectly safe to use. That's probably what AT&T would do.

Search finds it, to the point where I can use the keypad and voicemail, but doesn't enable me to restore the icon to the bottom of the home screen. Before I reset home screen layout, I may restore from a month old backup first...or walk in to my nearest AT&T store.
If you've found the phone icon in a folder you can drag it out of the folder, where it will appear in the first empty spot on one of your home screens. From there you should be able to move it to the dock at the bottom of your home screen.

Perhaps silly, but if I do a home screen reset, just how do I get all my other icons back in place and arranged. I know all my other apps (programs) will still be there, but I forgot how to do this. Please bear with me.

If you tap and hold an app icon until the X appears in the top left corner and all the icons start wiggling, you can drag an icon on top of another to form a folder. You can also re-arrange the icons on the page or move them to another page by sliding the icon to the very edge of the page.

Won't all the app icons be gone after the home screen reset? I know how to drag them to move them, but how do I find them after the reset?

After the home screen reset, the app icons will be in their default positions. Also, apps will be removed from any folders you have made.