What's new

Lost my notes

How do I tell? I upgraded to IOS 6.1.2 a couple of months ago, but I didn't purposely go in and back up my files.

By default... a backup is created when you Sync w/ iTunes. If you have iCloud turned on and Notes enabled (it is enabled by default) an iCloud backup is created when your iPhone is connected to Wifi, plugged into power & locked.

I've never used iCloud that I know of, and it's been a while since I did anything with iTunes. How do I get back what's there?

Go into Settings>iCloud... see if Notes is "On." Then select "Storage & Backup" at the bottom of that screen. At the bottom of the next page it'll tell you the last time you had an iCloud backup.

Alas. Notes is off. I've lost them. It'd be nice to know what I did to lose them, though.

Alas. Notes is off. I've lost them. It'd be nice to know what I did to lose them, though.
There are many factors that may cause you lose iPhone notes. For example, you disable the notes in some email account settings, deleted some emails, deleted notes on other devices with the same iCloud account and iCloud sync enabled, etc. If you met with this situation, it's highly recommended to check your email settings in Settings app, and then confirm if you've deleted some email accounts or got password changed from your iPhone, and check if you've enabled your iCloud. If you still couldn't get back the notes, you can try to scan your iPhone with this iPhone notes recovery tool, it will help you recover the lost note and transfer it directly back to your iPhone.

Look in the Notes folders of any email accounts you had connected to the Notes app. If you don't see a Notes folder in your email, go to Settings >Mail,Contacts and Calendars > turn notes either on or off. If it's on, turn it off. Then check your Notes folder.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.