What's new

Lost iPhone 4S

iPhone4Fan

Reaction score
OK, I lost my iPhone 4S and I've been trying to track it online all day!!! My question is, if someone goes in and turns off Find My iPhone will I still be able to track it? Am I sitting here in front of my computer for no reason???

So sorry about losing your phone! Wow. And I'm not certain, but I believe that if your iPhone is turned on, the GPS function is active, but I'm not sure if it can be tracked online if the app is closed. Hopefully someone else can answer that here.

Surely you've tried calling your number, right? I'm hoping there are a "few" good people left around to do the right thing. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I was at a trade show the other day and someone stole 2 IPhones from a vendor. They tried calling the phones but they were turned off. They said that when you use find my iphone feature it will start to make a loud sound even if its off. I don't know if that is true or not. I didn't stick around to see.

Good luck.

GPS is always on because in case whee somebody calls 911 then other person shuts off phone they would still be able to track the location so it should still work if you can't locate maybe call or go to your local apple store and tell them your story and see of they can help.

It's a Verizon iPhone 4S and it uses a micro sim. If whomever has my phone simply uses another sim card could they use it? I'm getting the feeling that my phone is GONE and someone else can use it. Good thing I had it insured!!!

Have you called your phone company and told them it's lost?? They can put a block on it so that it cant be used by anyone else. And yes, lucky you had it insured! :)

It's a Verizon iPhone 4S and it uses a micro sim. If whomever has my phone simply uses another sim card could they use it? I'm getting the feeling that my phone is GONE and someone else can use it. Good thing I had it insured!!!

Were you ever able to use it with a different sim....

Check this out...I went to my local AT&T store and gave them a BS story about needing a sim card. So right there in front of my the guy Activated a new card for me and I paid the $50 for the plan. So I get it home, cut it down and put it into my iPhone 4. At first there was 1 bar, then it said SEARCHING, but now it says No Service!!!

This phone was/is on a contract and I still owe AT&T $$$!!! Might that be the problem???

I was at a trade show the other day and someone stole 2 IPhones from a vendor. They tried calling the phones but they were turned off. They said that when you use find my iphone feature it will start to make a loud sound even if its off. I don't know if that is true or not. I didn't stick around to see.

Good luck.
I just tested my IPhone4S. It does not make a sound if the IPhone is turned off and you ask ICloud to 'Find my Phone'.

@nikstar - Yeah I reported it stolen. We (here at work) think the janitorial staff got it. But can't prove it. Thank God for insurance!!!
@xrayeyes - It was never located via Find My iPhone so I'm thinking it was off. And I hadn't tried it with another sim. Never had a reason to, plus I only got it a month ago!

I did have an AT&T iPhone 4 that I was contract and that I tried with another sim, but couldn't get it to work. Besides, I wanted to be legit, so I went to Verizon...now this. Oh well. Learning experience!

I just tried "Find My iphone". If it is turned off on the phone, it will not even find the device in iCloud at all (which sucks). So you can't even "ping" it to make a sound, send an e-mail, or remote wipe it. ...

Last edited:
Yeah, I had it insured so Verizon did replace it. Picked it up yesterday actually!!!

Ηι.

Find my iphone is not a bad app, but its near impossible to track it if it is stolen / lost and someone finds it (someone who won't even try to find the owner that is).

The reason is because in order to even have a chance for a remote wipe, your phone

1) has to be on
2) has to have internet connection on
3) has to have location services on

And any thief/finder who wants to keep it and who has even a slight brain (unfortunately it is the case in most situations like this) will turn it off and then go hook it up to iTunes and do a full restore/setup as new and keep the phone........sad but true.