What's new

Los Angeles - Any iPhone 5 owners? How's your 4g?

HorseTears

Reaction score
Hey Guys

New iPhone user and new to Verizon. My new iPhone 5 (black 16 gb) arrived yesterday. I love it already, but one thing I haven't loved is the 4g data speed. I work in downtown Los Angeles and live in Koreatown. According to Verizon's coverage map the areas where I work and live should have full Verizon 4G LTE service, not 4G extended and not 3G. I plugged in the exact addresses to be sure.

I had to be in three different areas of downtown Los Angeles for work today: Bunker Hill, South Park and Pershing Square and on my commute home I walked through a wide swath of Koreatown. I was both inside and outside throughout the day. Every single location I was at -- at least according to Verizon's map -- has full 4G service. At each location according to the phone I had full bars most of the time; occasionally down to four bars and "LTE" was indicated on the phone at all times. But any app which required even the smallest amount of data online crawled if I wasn't connected to wifi. And forget about using a streaming service like Spotify. I tried to listen to one 3 minute song and with all the buffering it took 21 minutes to get through that 3 minute song. And that was when I was standing in one spot with full bars; not walking around. I tried this out in 3 different locations. Same thing.

I downloaded and tried out the SpeedTest app in all locations and after taking dozens of tests the average speeds I got were:
DOWNLOAD: 0.14 MBPS and UPLOAD 0.04 MBPS

So, my question is for other Angelenos with the iPhone 5 (or other 4G LTE devices on verizon), what's your experience like? When you respond, please tell us what neighborhoods you live and work in.

And should I just get used to these abysmally slow download and upload speeds or is it worth complaining? If I'd know it was going to be this bad I wouldn't have waited for the first 4g iphone.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with LTE, but there has to be an issue with your service or phone. I just tested and got 1.53 Mbps down and .77 Mbps up with 3G.

I'm normally connected to WiFi, but my area does have good vz lte coverage. While running some errands yesterday, I checked my lte download speed several times with SpeedTest. Got between 14 and 16 Mb/sec

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Middle of the afternoon standing on the sidewalk outside with 5 bars, 4G enabled i got 35mbps down and 32 up first day i got the phone.