What's new

Locking your iPhone - is it a pain?

Tricon7

Reaction score
If I were to lose my iPhone or have it stolen, they'd get all my data. They'd probably also delete the FindMyiPhone app, which would enable me to track it. I've considered using the lock feature, requiring a password, to get in but it's a pain to have to log in every time I want to check my mail or find the time.

Is there an in-between method or something? I would rather have the protection - especially once it's been lost.

you will get use to it after a while, and as you know it already, it's very useful specially when you come to lose your iPhone.

In Setting -> General -> Restrictions disable Deleting Apps. Restrictions has password protection so the only way to get in is with a password.

I lock mine and don't find it to be a pain at all.

Yup there is no in between for this. Its either you have it locked with a password to get in to your phone or no password and you don't have that piece of mind if said phone is lost or stolen. Now on the other hand if your phone is jailbroken you can get a tweak that allows you to assign a different gesture to unlock your phone, such as pinch to unlock etc… I personally like it like this no password to put in and people get stumped wen trying to unlock my phone

I've had 3 iPhones and have never had a password to lock them as it would annoy me to have to put in a password everytime. Can you tell me the name of the tweak that lets you pinch to unlock??

In Setting -> General -> Restrictions disable Deleting Apps. Restrictions has password protection so the only way to get in is with a password.
this is a great idea. i never knew what those restrictions were for or that there was a specific one for preventing the deleting of apps. i don't keep sensitive data on my phone so all i'm really interested in assuring is that I can 'find my iphone' with the app bearing that name.

nikstar said:
I've had 3 iPhones and have never had a password to lock them as it would annoy me to have to put in a password everytime. Can you tell me the name of the tweak that lets you pinch to unlock??

The jailbreak tweak is called StyleUnlock

Ok, so I enabled Restrictions. So this now means that no one can delete an app without the PIN, or will I have to enter my PIN for something apart from that?

I don't understand how that thwarts someone getting into your phone? Your e-mail, messages, and apps are still exposed.
Find my iPhone can still be turned off in location services

Last edited:

Ok, so that change does not prevent someone from deleting an app from your iPhone - like FindMyiPhone. I just deleted an app, though I have my apps "Restricted," and it didn't ask for a password. Were your instructions meant to do something else?

Last edited: