What's new

Locked iphone4 overseas

testdummy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Im currently overseas in Italy with the military. So I bought an Iphone 4 from a friend who upgraded to the 4S. He said he was using Vodafone on the phone I purchased. Since it was locked when I got it, I thought first I'd try to jailbreak it and then I found out I had the baseband 04.12.01 which I saw was one that is not able to currently unlock through jailbreaking. So... I pulled out the sim and it says "Rogers" on it which I believe is a Canadian company. I contacted them and the gentleman told me since he used vodafone it most likely needs to be unlocked through them. So I contact vodafone and they say that they dont see my "handset" in there system when I gave them the IMEI. So now Im experimenting with 3 sims. The Rogers one in the phone lets me connect to itunes with no problem. TIM(italy) says "The Sim card in this phone does not appear to be supported", and then the same message appears when I put in a sim from Vodafone. So right now I'm trying to figure out why is there a Rogers sim card in the phone which is Canadian, but my friend was using Vodafone at the time and did not change the sims out. I will be contacting my friend at work again to try and clarify somethings but thought I'd ask on the forum to see if I could get some help. Thanks in advance - Steve

Unfortunately... your iPhone 4 w/ the 4.12.01 BB cannot be unlocked via any method. The only way it can be used is on the wireless provider it is locked to. Unless, it's a Factory Unlocked iPhone... in that case any sim card you put in it should pull up a provider name in the status bar. Go into your Settings>General>About... and see what wireless provider is listed somewhere.

The Carrier says Rogers 12.0 and also the SIM says Rogers on it. But the sim card was used with a vodafone contract. I contacted rogers and they said vodafone needs to unlock it if was from vodafone, but after contacting vodafone and giving them the IMEI, they said that they didnt see my iphone under them. Maybe I should speak to someone else from rogers... : (

::::::: Contacted Rogers, They confirmed the IMEI is from them so that clears that up!
The only way to have the phone unlocked through them now is to have my friend who "supposedly" had a contract with them at some point call up and spend $50 to get it unlocked and he MUST still have a contract with them. But he doesnt so now I'm searching for the best site to get an unlock code for an IPhone from... Any suggestions of legitimate site? Thanks

:::::: After searching for what feels like hours, I can not find a site that will send me an unlock code for an Iphone 4 from Carrier rogers. Ive seen other carriers for the Iphone 4 that can be unlocked, but for some reason I can't find ANY unlocks for rogers. Sooo.. I keep looking..... (such a hassle)

:::::: Well, I had come up with this plan to use the sim that was in the phone as a Pre-pay, put 50$ credit on it and have it unlocked, But after calling rogers they said that there still is a contract on the phone left till 2013 august, which means either my friend or someone he bought it from left without paying there contract, so the only way to have Rogers unlock it would be to pay out the rest of the contract(could be couple $100's) and then pay the $50 unlocking fee. Looks like I'm waiting for a hack for my baseband 04.12.01

Last edited:
Unfortunately, testdummy, it seems as though you're stuck w/ an iPhone that you won't be able to use. :-( Sorry you had to jump through so many hoops to find out what you did, though. Perhaps, selling this iPhone... adverted as a Rogers iPhone of course... could regain enough $$ to purchase one you can use w/ your wireless provider.

Hey everyone. Im currently overseas in Italy with the military. So I bought an Iphone 4 from a friend who upgraded to the 4S. He said he was using Vodafone on the phone I purchased. Since it was locked when I got it, I thought first I'd try to jailbreak it and then I found out I had the baseband 04.12.01 which I saw was one that is not able to currently unlock through jailbreaking. So... I pulled out the sim and it says "Rogers" on it which I believe is a Canadian company. I contacted them and the gentleman told me since he used vodafone it most likely needs to be unlocked through them. So I contact vodafone and they say that they dont see my "handset" in there system when I gave them the IMEI. So now Im experimenting with 3 sims. The Rogers one in the phone lets me connect to itunes with no problem. TIM(italy) says "The Sim card in this phone does not appear to be supported", and then the same message appears when I put in a sim from Vodafone. So right now I'm trying to figure out why is there a Rogers sim card in the phone which is Canadian, but my friend was using Vodafone at the time and did not change the sims out. I will be contacting my friend at work again to try and clarify somethings but thought I'd ask on the forum to see if I could get some help. Thanks in advance - Steve

I know this may sound weird, but Vodafone could be sourcing SIM cards from Rogers. Or they could be the same company: different names for different countries