What's new

Lock screen draining battery?

It happened at night while I was asleep. Phone never moved, so it wasn't the raise to wake feature.

I'm almost certain it was the cold. Weather has gotten above freezing in the mornings finally and it hasn't happened since. It was below freezing that particular morning

But that implies you were sleeping with the phone in below freezing temperatures.

I also work in a cooler all night. I find if I put my phone in a inside pocket my body heat keeps the phone from getting too cold

lol, no, I start work before the sun comes up. It was freezing when I got to work and while at work. That's when I noticed the HUGE battery drop.

I usually have my phone in my pocket near warmth too, but sometimes, I'm not sure why, it doesn't seem to work. I guess I'll find out next winter.

My iPhone 6+ did it all the time this winter, but I never looked into it, I just figured the phone battery was on it's last leg. Now I realize it probably wasn't a bad battery. Oh well, I got a shiny new iPhone 7+ out of it :D

While a battery loses power when it gets cold, it gains that power back when the battery warms up again.

I have the same issue, a lotta people are throwing out ideas but is an Apple iPhone problem. I went to bed with 96% battery. Woke up to a dead phone, when I charged it up I had one text and no notifications. Location services was set to off and the phone was on my nightstand in a 70 degree room. Battery usage showed 68% on lock and home screen. There is no explanation other than a glitch in Apple, hate to say it but there is an obvious issue with this.

I have the same issue, a lotta people are throwing out ideas but is an Apple iPhone problem. I went to bed with 96% battery. Woke up to a dead phone, when I charged it up I had one text and no notifications. Location services was set to off and the phone was on my nightstand in a 70 degree room. Battery usage showed 68% on lock and home screen. There is no explanation other than a glitch in Apple, hate to say it but there is an obvious issue with this.
Something is preventing your iPhone from properly sleeping. It can’t be a general iOS bug as that would affect all users. Something in your iPhone, either software or hardware related, is causing the problem.

Have you checked whether the Auto Lock on the phone is set to Never? You need to have it on say 5 mins for convenience and battery saving.

Something is preventing your iPhone from properly sleeping. It can’t be a general iOS bug as that would affect all users. Something in your iPhone, either software or hardware related, is causing the problem.

This has happened to me two or three times, happened to my wife once. I would think if it's a hardware or software issue it would be a daily thing. I go camping often where I do not have an outlet to stay plugged into overnight and my phone still has a charge when I wake up. So obviously it's not a common occurance but it does happen every so often. I'm sure others experience it but don't blog about so who knows how many iPhones have had this happen. I do always make sure my apps are closed so I have no clue why it would ever happen at all. At work I never need to charge my phone and it's either on my desk or in my pocket and I can go through the 8.5 hour shift and still have over 50% battery at the end of the day so why when I sleep for less than 8 hours does it go from 90's percent to dead overnight? Maybe my phone was built on a Monday lol.

Closing apps makes them use more battery power when you open them again. It’s not recommended by Apple, and in most cases it’s not necessary. In your case, the only app I’d close regularly after using, is Facebook.

How’s your network connection? Do you use iCloud backup?

Last edited:
Closing apps makes them use more battery power when you open them again. It’s not recommended by Apple, and in most cases it’s not necessary. In your case, the only app I’d close regularly after using, is Facebook.

How’s your network connection? Do you use iCloud backup?

People do have the problem, that's how I found this forum. I googled the lock and home screen draining battery and this is one I clicked to try finding the answer. So to your unedited previous answer I am coming for help, I'm not here to bash Apple if that's what u were implieing. I don't backup to iCloud, never have. I don't have a home network, it's just cell network. I'm looking for a possible answer not a debate. Google lock and homescreen draining battery and see if I'm the only one who had the issue.

People do have the problem, that's how I found this forum. I googled the lock and home screen draining battery and this is one I clicked to try finding the answer. So to your unedited previous answer I am coming for help, I'm not here to bash Apple if that's what u were implieing. I don't backup to iCloud, never have. I don't have a home network, it's just cell network. I'm looking for a possible answer not a debate. Google lock and homescreen draining battery and see if I'm the only one who had the issue.
I’m aware of the problem, and I know that you’re not the only one facing it. That’s why I edited my post, and removed that part. I’m just trying to help with your issue.

Another question: do you use widgets on your lockscreen, and if so: many of them? They need power to keep up to date. Remove some of them, see if your problem still exists.

Also turn off Auto-Brightness, if that’s enabled, and turn the brightness down. One third is enough, imo, you might even need less, or a bit more.

If nothing helps, send feedback to Apple:
Feedback - iPhone - Apple
This will make sure they know about your problem. It’s possible (but not very likely) that you’ll receive a reply from Apple.
They might address it in a future update, if many users are affected.

I just wish they used something other than "lock and homescreen" as description for that usage. If it's something happening during locked screen why can't it say what it is? I noticed 2% usage was low signal so that rules out my phone searching for the network. Obviously the phone knows the drain happened during lock so you would think it could narrow it down to a certain app, function, etc. I doubt I'll ever figure out why so I try to keep my phone plugged in when I sleep anymore. I appriciate all the feedback, I'll continue to try to figure it out. Funny thing is it only happens occasionally and I don't ever really change any settings that could possibly cause this. I don't even use location services unless I'm using map, then I turn it back off.