What's new

Lightning Cord issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmarcantonio

Reaction score
7/30/14
This topic my have been discussed in forum but new to this so posted new thread.

Being unable to charge iphone with lightning cord now cause Apple's decided to get rotten ticks me off. Especially since certified ones I bought to remedy problem have failed after less than 30 days of purchase. Way too costly to continue replacing. Come on Apple get your hand out of our back pockets. We all spent dearly to get our phones so stop with the penny annie crap. This penny annie move going to be a black ball mark for iphones and only make users (new and old) look more to competitors phones. Fix this soon.

If anyone knows something I don't know of how to fix, tell me.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i can understand you are having issues with Lightning cables and Apple won't replace them? Is that what you mean by "Apples decided to get rotten?"
You need to be more specific about what happens to your cables.
Remember too we are not Apple, We are just a forum.

Please be aware we are a private forum so ranting in here does not get you apples response. Millions use these cables every day without issues. I personally own 4 iOS devices with lightning cables and have had no issues. I also retail iPads, and iPods at a rate of 30 to 40 a week The return rate is so small it is not funny. If you have issues with Apple take it up with Apple. I suggest also you look at how ypu are removing the cables as maybe that's the issue. Hope that helps.

Sorry maybe I should have "sugar coated" my frustrations a bit more so feathers didn't get so ruffled. However, this issue is an extremely blogged issue. Many other iphone 5 users have encountered this issue since the most current iOS update. I have had my Iphone 5 since the day they hit the market. I've used (4) different after market lightning cords/chargers in my office, on my boat, camper and auto's and (1) at home that was originally with iphone.
Bought 4 certified cords all which worked for a short number of days. I DO KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY UNPUG CORD. Want reasonable solution. Google the problem. Too many people with same problem even after they bought certified cables.
Think chip in cable was never relient before but never caused charging issue cause previous iOS didn't set limitations that latest iOs has done.

Firstly feathers didn't get ruffled, We stated it as is, We are not Apple so ranting about Apple on here does no good.
We help with issues wherever we can but do not control Apples policies.
Col.bris mentioned suggesting on looking on how you remove cables as some pull on the actual cable to remove instead of grasping the connector.

I suggest you go to an Apple store for answers and I will,state it again this is an isolated issue. Just because some users have problems does not mean all users. If you have AppleCare and or it is under warranty Apple will replace the cords at no charge. We I fact have users with USB cable on Android tablets and phone requesting cables and changers than iOS products. So in summary sorry we cannot help you with this issue.

I have never pulled cable, Ive always grabbed connector. Short of having to "jailbreak" my iphone for possible solution, I seem to get no answers to problem least of all from MFG. MFG seemingly turning a blind eye to his problem that's why I decided to post issue here. But so far aint got any answers here at this time either only what seems to be a "bad boy" whipping. Maybe if chip is at the most handled end that my be cause of current problem. Isn't anyone else experiencing this issue on this forum?
If so, any comment?

I have not a clue what MFG is but that maybe a USA store. No one has said your a "bad boy" we are just informing you we have no answers other than having a Apple store look at the issue. I am happy to leave this thread open for comments.

I have bought those braided iphone lightning cables off of ebay and currently using them to charge my iphones what i like about them is that connection point is a heavy duty plastic sleeve that to break would require a hammer

Well, at the risk of being a minority voice, I'll chime in.

I took 2 lightning cables back to Apple with obliterated wiring. They replaced both of them without question. Both cables have since failed in exactly the same way. These cables were all for my son's iPad mini, which lives in an OtterBox.

In the meantime, my iPhone 5 cable is standing up to the abuses inflicted on it as I drag it around in my truck.

In my own experience, Apple cables will not fail while ALL aftermarket ones will (sometimes with no signs of physical damage), but that's subjective observation. I can't prove that the kid did something he should not, but running at 4 to 1, I'd say the evidence is not pointing in his favor.

What does this have to do with this conversation? Read into it what you will. If you are in the fortunate position of being in an office or home environment, you should be able to keep your cables pristine. In the real world, they may suffer, but Apple stand by their products. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar. Take the cables in and stay polite. They will probably replace any and all damaged ones. If you tell them into which orifice you are going to shove the cables, they may not be so willing to assist.

I really think that before Apple's latest update, there may have been many thousands of cable failures due to internal chip damage or other defects. However, previous iOS versions weren't screening cables so any chip failures
wouldn't have rendered them useless. Apple was able to take a 25 cent cable - and retailed up to $19.00. Come on....... I think that's taking the "proprietary strangle hold" to unreasonable limits. Can you imagine all electrical device manufacturers doing the same thing? We'd all be up in arms. Sorry, I just can't "sugar coat" this issue. It's gauging for no good reason but the BUCK$. NOT A GOOD CUSTOMER RELATIONS MOVE.

Your frustration may be understandable but ranting on here about Apple does no good, This thread has run its course so therefore i am closing it, Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.