What's new

Latest iOS without update!

iProPhilip

Reaction score
Hello all, i don't know if there already exists something like this, but i am going to teach you how to get latest iOS (5.1) without updating your iDevice. (this will take less then 5 minutes)

First you gonna need is ANY jailbroken iDevice using ANY iOS...

1. Go to Cydia and install "iFile"
2. open iFile > system > library > coreservices
3. at the bottom of that page, tap on "systemversion.plist" file and chose "property list viewer"
4. tap "productversion" and write "5.1" instead of iOS that you are using
5. go back, tap "done"

Thats all, now you have to close iFile and respring your iDevice.

Go to settings > general > about and see what iOS you got ;)

If you had for example 4.3.5, you can run applications that require 5.1+ without any update...

Thing i told you to do will trick your iDevice into thinking it uses iOS you wrote...

Enjoy, have a nice downloads and day as well ;)

Hello all, i don't know if there already exists something like this, but i am going to teach you how to get latest iOS (5.1) without updating your iDevice. (this will take less then 5 minutes)

First you gonna need is ANY jailbroken iDevice using ANY iOS...

1. Go to Cydia and install "iFile"
2. open iFile > system > library > coreservices
3. at the bottom of that page, tap on "systemversion.plist" file and chose "property list viewer"
4. tap "productversion" and write "5.1" instead of iOS that you are using
5. go back, tap "done"

Thats all, now you have to close iFile and respring your iDevice.

Go to settings > general > about and see what iOS you got ;)

If you had for example 4.3.5, you can run applications that require 5.1+ without any update...

Thing i told you to do will trick your iDevice into thinking it uses iOS you wrote...

Enjoy, have a nice downloads and day as well ;)

What happens when an App makes a request to an API call that exists in iOS 5.1 but doesn't exist in your 4.3.5 example?

I agree, this is more safe when you have at least iOS 5.0 (i have 5.0.1) and i downloaded iPhoto, and installed crash fix for it from cydia, it is perfect.
Try it by yourself, if you think this is spam, remove this thread :p
I just try to help people

mwhartman said:
No need to bump! I'm on the fence about this process.

Ya shouldn't keep the SystemVersion.plist changed like that. It has the potential to disable certain functions.

Just change the build number to 9z999. That way it doesn't think it's on a new iOS....it just thinks the iOS you have is the latest.

Ya shouldn't keep the SystemVersion.plist changed like that. It has the potential to disable certain functions.

Just change the build number to 9z999. That way it doesn't think it's on a new iOS....it just thinks the iOS you have is the latest.

I have no intention of trying this mod. My 4S is jail broken and works just fine.

I'm concerned about the validity of this mod and the impact it may have for those who may try

It is a very old trick. It was used a lot with the PSP hacking scene.

The technical issue is the API library and the side effects of making a call that doesn't exist or has changed from version to version. Most of the time the app should just crash. But I would be very concerned with data being mangled during a write operation.

That's why changing the build number only is better....

And never change the build number to that of a a different iOS than what is on the device.

It does not comprise anything.

Ya know that tweak called RecoveryGuard?

All that tweak does is change the build number 9z999. That's it.

Changing the iOS version and build number version to a different iOS CAN disable certain functions. And most definitely has the potential to cause problems.

But changing the build number to 9z999......that does nothing adverse......all it does is make the device and iTunes think it is the latest iOS (not make it think its a different iOS.....only makes it think the iOS your on is the latest). Nothing more....nothing less.

Absolutely 0 potential for problems....tho, should be changed back if your going to restore....can sometimes make restoring not work.....but nothing adverse to the functionality of the phone.

I have been doing this for 2 years.....if it caused problems I think I would have figured that out by now.

However I have personally figured out the completely changing the iOS version and build number to a different iOS CAN cause problems.

Last edited:
ms.jess said:
how do I find the patches in cydia ?

I think he's referring to the patches you need to make iPhoto work.