What's new

Just got in, didn't have time to unpack, got a question ...

Clockguy

Reaction score
I need some help with finding my contact list, it has disappeared from my contacts link! It was there this morning, now it's gone. All of my recent calls, instead of having the person's first name and town of origin, it lists "United States" on all the calls listed on the recent calls list.

The only thing I did was plug in the charger about 3 hours ago and I just unplugged it and went to find a friend's number to make a call and my contact list has "No Contacts" on it with only my phone number listed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I am so glad to be one of the newbies on this forum, I never had a problem with the phone until an hour ago. My landlord gave me the iphone 5 when he got a new iphone 6 last year so I could update him periodically on his rentals down here in FL.

Have a look in Contacts, then Groups and make sure all of the entries have a check mark next to them. Also make sure "Hide All Contacts" hasn't been selected.

Take a look at your email account(s), make sure Contacts is enabled.

If you're using iCloud, go to www.icloud.com via browser (with a computer, not with the iPhone), and make sure they're still there. Then turn off Contacts for the account, and enable it again.

Thanks Kevin, I don't know for sure what "Fetch" and "Push" refer to but I clicked them from one mode to the other and went back to my contacts list and they were all there! I didn't go into the settings at all today so I didn't change anything accidentally, but my neighbor told me that we had a "brownout" here in the neighborhood when I was out and he thought maybe that did something to the phone. I didn't take it with me, I had it on the charger and forgot to take it off when I left. Anyway, thanks for the help and I hope it is my turn to help someone else next.

J.A. I will file that away for future reference as I do use iCloud regularly for my photo and docs storage. One other thing I did was to power down the phone and then power it back up after a minute or so. One of those moves did the trick, I have to say I have no idea what move was the right move but it is back and all is well. Thanks for the tip.

Fetch and Push refer to different ways of collecting your email. Fetch means your phone will poll the server at specific time intervals (or manually, if you choose) and Push means that the server will send emails to you as soon as it receives them. Effectively Push means constant Fetching. It's harder on battery life and presumably uses more data, but it means that you'll get your emails immediately.

Good to hear things are back to normal. Thanks for letting us know.

Welcome to the forum.

Fetch and Push refer to different ways of collecting your email. Fetch means your phone will poll the server at specific time intervals (or manually, if you choose) and Push means that the server will send emails to you as soon as it receives them. Effectively Push means constant Fetching. It's harder on battery life and presumably uses more data, but it means that you'll get your emails immediately.

Good to hear things are back to normal. Thanks for letting us know.

Welcome to the forum.
Push is bit harder on battery life - so little that you may never notice it - but the data volume is slightly smaller for push vs fetch - again, so little that you may never notice it. Did you ever play the game Marco Polo in a swimming pool? Regarding Push, the server says "Marco" and the phone says "Polo" - the phone is simply listening for the data (this is the extra battery life hit), while Fetch has to actively ask for it (this is the extra data hit). But, as you've hinted, the immediate availability of email make the differences in data and battery life a non-issue.