What's new

Jailbreak / Unlocking options 4.3.5 / 04.10.1 Vodafone

machineage

Reaction score
Hello all

My first post here and I wish I had found this forum earlier :eek:

Im in the UK. Bought an iphone 4 - with an intermittent speaker issue. Tried the pressing each side of the home button - and it did indeed work for a while. Then read somewhere to restore. I did this and it updated me to 4.3.5 - baseband 04.10.1

The intermittent speaker which I assumed to be a physical problem has cleared up! How the hell :eek: Does the updated software re-route the signal path or something?!

Anyway my phone appears to be locked to Vodafone. I am now learning that I am a bit stuck with regards to jailbreaking / unlocking the phone having performed the update - dohhh. I would just like to unlock the phone so I can use a GiffGaff sim (02). What are my options now and which would be best recommended?

Thanks form a very happy new iphone owner :D

Your only option for unlocking is to buy a Gevey Ultra SIM card since you can no longer do a software unlock because you updated your baseband. In terms of jailbreaking you can use redsn0w 0.9.8b4 to do a tethered jailbreak

Hi jmills87

Thanks for that...

I will research the gevey sim further to find out the pros / cons.

I guess I could ask Vodafone to do it? I did a search on Apples site for the phone and it's less than 12 months old (feb11) so I would have to pay them 20 quid for the privilege!

Actually that's brought up another question which needs a separate thread!

Thanks again :)

Looked into the Gevey sim and I've read various reports about problems - loosing network and having to re-unlock issues etc...

I guess my best option would be to call Vodafone and ask them to unlock it for 20quid? That way I guess it's official..

Update:

Seems there are quite a few people advertising a factory unlock on eBay - eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-FACTORY-UNLOCKING-iPHONE-4-3GS-VODAFONE-UK-/250863456594?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item3a68a09152#ht_1164wt_714

Are these bonafide as it seems they are permanently unlocked with Apple - is it the same method Vodafone would use?

Last edited: