What's new

JAILBREAK iPHONE 4 iOS 6.0.1

tmmyers

Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum,

I need help answering some questions, I want to jailbreak my Sprint iphone 4 (it has the latest ios update 6.0.1)
Is it possible?
I know there is an tethered and untethered jailbreak. Pretty sure untethered is the way to go.
There are so many frekin how to videos on youtube, idk which ones to go with reguarding my ios software.

Thank you in advance for the help

An iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0.1 is going to be a Tethered only Jailbreak. Nothing untethered for that iOS version yet.

Oh gotcha, thank you. What do you recommend I do? Couldn't I downgrade to iOS 5 if I wanted a untethered jailbrake? Or should I go ahead and jailbreak it tethered? I keep throwing those 2 words around I don't really understand what they mean exactly. Tethered and untethered.
Could you be so kind and explain to me what they mean and the pros and cons please
Thank you much

Oh gotcha, thank you. What do you recommend I do? Couldn't I downgrade to iOS 5 if I wanted a untethered jailbrake? Or should I go ahead and jailbreak it tethered? I keep throwing those 2 words around I don't really understand what they mean exactly. Tethered and untethered.
Could you be so kind and explain to me what they mean and the pros and cons please
Thank you much

A tethered jailbreak is when you would have to boot it up using a computer in order to use it. This is required if you do a reboot, power off, etc, anything that completely stops the iPhone. Putting it to sleep/standby doesn't count, neither does respringing. An untethered jailbreak is when you can turn your on, off, leave it off for ages, throw it around, drown it (just kidding) and you can still boot it and use it. With an untethered jailbreak, you won't need to jumpstart the kernel to run like you would on a tethered jailbreak.

That's really the only difference. That aside, they both work accomplish the same thing, which is turning off certain security protocols so that the user can interact with the system files. There is no difference in Cydia or Cydia app/tweak performances, just whether or not you have to boot it using a computer.

You might also come across the term semi-tethered jailbreak. This is basically the in-between of a tethered and an untethered. The difference between a semi-tethered and a tethered, is that you can boot your iPhone or iDevice to the springboard, but you are limited in actions. A tethered jailbreak, when booted without a computer, will show the "Connect to iTunes" logo as if it's in recovery, so you never reach the springboard. An untethered gives you full capabilities in interacting with your iPhone without the need of a computer.

As for downgrading to iOS 5, the only untethered jailbreaks for iOS 5 are 5.0.1 and 5.1.1. To find out whether or not you can downgrade to one of those iOS, you can connect your device to your computer, download and run TinyUmbrella, and click on "Save SHSH" or "Save All SHSH" on the top right of the window. Then in the center of the window, there is a white box with 3 tabs, and by default, you should be on the "General" tab. Let the loading bar on the bottom of the window finish, and you will see a list of items assuming they are saved on Cydia. Those items are the SHSH blobs for whichever device is labeled. If you see 5.0.1 or 5.1.1, then you can downgrade to the one that you see.

Last edited:
I am using Sn0wbreeze for my Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 6.0.1 all goes good until iTunes 11 launches and where you ate suppose to hold shift and click the firmware from Sn0wbreeze I can't get that part right. Can anyone help?

Just use RedSn0w. Don't have to go through all that trouble... Have your iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0.1, download the 6.0.1 IPSW, Open up RedSn0w, go to Extra > Select IPSW> then go back and click Jailbreak. Tick Install Cydia, done. No iTunes interaction outside of restoring, and you can do that even on RedSn0w without using iTunes.

willerz2 said:
Just use RedSn0w. Don't have to go through all that trouble... Have your iPhone 4 on iOS 6.0.1, download the 6.0.1 IPSW, Open up RedSn0w, go to Extra > Select IPSW> then go back and click Jailbreak. Tick Install Cydia, done. No iTunes interaction outside of restoring, and you can do that even on RedSn0w without using iTunes.

I tried RedSn0w first and it would not recognize my IPSW. That's why I was trying Sn0wbreeze.

Regardless of whether you're jailbreaking on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1, you still use the iOS 6.0 IPSW. You use it for both of them. iOS 6.0.1 is considered a hotfix with no change in the 'base'. Try it again with RedSn0w, using the iOS 6.0 IPSW even though you're on 6.0.1. It'll work.

willerz2 said:
Regardless of whether you're jailbreaking on iOS 6.0 or 6.0.1, you still use the iOS 6.0 IPSW. You use it for both of them. iOS 6.0.1 is considered a hotfix with no change in the 'base'. Try it again with RedSn0w, using the iOS 6.0 IPSW even though you're on 6.0.1. It'll work.

Ok will try again. I downloaded the firmware off Redsn0w website but can't find the actual firmware file. I get the error when I use the the restore file iTunes makes. What is the file name I need to look for

comes as a zip file correct? all I do is rename the file or do I extract and then what file to look for after extracting? God I like untethered jailbreak better

comes as a zip file correct? all I do is rename the file or do I extract and then what file to look for after extracting? God I like untethered jailbreak better

It sounds as if you are using Internet Explorer to download the IPSW file (cause it changes the file to a .zip when it shouldn't). May I suggest you use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome? They won't change the extension to .zip - they will show the download as it should be, an .ipsw file. Then, you can use the file as it is...

Marilyn

wow I did not know that. lets see if that works now. Thanks alot
It sounds as if you are using Internet Explorer to download the IPSW file (cause it changes the file to a .zip when it shouldn't). May I suggest you use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome? They won't change the extension to .zip - they will show the download as it should be, an .ipsw file. Then, you can use the file as it is...

Marilyn

That's been the case for some reason through IE. It's an incompatibility issue.