What's new

iTunes

Irvinraw

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this topic. But I have a few iTunes questions. I have the iPhone 7 plus and it's terrible. Cellular rarely works so the only time I can use the phone is on wifi. And by using the phone I don't mean calls. Phone calls rarely work even in wifi. The problem is I don't want to get a new iPhone because I can't save my phone data onto iTunes.

I've been using iTunes on a pc and it's a pain. It's a pain when the pc is working correctly. However, the pc broke the week that I was going to backup my phone so I could get a new iPhone. That was back in january but I did not have time to work on the laptop. It's an old laptop and we just use it for browsing and iTunes. For some reason, windows was corrupted and my hard drive was locked. So I couldn't easily transfer files to another hard drive since the hard drive was locked.

I've finally taken the time to transfer the files by pulling out the hard drive out of the laptop. I have a new MacBook Pro that I plan to transfer the iTunes information to. The problem is I can't make an iTunes export file since iTunes does not work on my laptop. Is there anyway I can run iTunes through a hard drive on a hard drive just so I can export iTunes and import onto my MacBook Pro. I've transferred my music files and everything else that was in my music folders.

Where are my iPhone backup files and anything else related to iPhone and iTunes that I should transfer to my MacBook? I have a window 8, most recent version, laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I don't plan on getting a new iPhone 7 plus anymore. I'm just going to wait for the 8 since it's coming out in a few months, I hope. Just want to get my MacBook Pro and iTunes situated for iPhone 8. Because who knows when I'll have the time and resolve to get this thing done.

Thanks

Have you had your iPhone checked at an Apple Store Genius Bar to see if they can determine what's causing the problems? Your iPhone should still be under warranty and any hardware faults should be covered under the standard warranty.

Yes I have. I brought it to the Apple Store and it worked. I assume there were microcells there at the mall since the Apple store and AT&T store are located there. The "genius" told me to go to at&t because although the phone worked it never went to Lte, just stuck on 4g. So I went to AT&T and they changed the sim and after 10 mins I was getting lte signal. I thought it may have been fixed. As soon as I left the mall, I noticed the phone didn't work again.

I didn't feel like going to the mall again and wasting my time. The phone works there for some reason, but does not work anywhere else 80% of the time. Thanks intel modem.

So i tried online. Apple said they would exchange the phone after arguing for 30 mins. However, I would need to send them the phone then Apple would send me a replacement. So I wouldn't have a phone for a week or so. Or give them $28 and I could keep my phone. I decided to use the first option. Obviously, $28 is nothing but I didn't want to pay an extra cent since it was a defective Apple product. Basically it was a matter of principle. Plus I had an old Apple iPhone 4s I could use for a week.

So I wanted to backup my iPhone before sending it to Apple. That's when my laptop broke. So I couldn't back up my phone nor could I use transfer the data to the new phone. There may be another way but I've always used itunes in the past. I've had an iPhone since the beginning so I was used to transferring it the iTunes way.

Because of the pc issue, I never sent the iPhone back to Apple and here we are today.

I know the att Apple iPhone 7 has issues due to the intel modem, but mine is significantly worse than others. Being paranoid, I think this could be at&t getting back at me. I've had unlimited data since the beginning. I always used wifi whenever I had an opportunity. But a few years ago, my son and daughter went over their data limits a ton of times. I had to pay 1200 for 2 months worth of service. As a result, just to be vindictive, I strictly used AT&T service and never got on wifi. I would use 40-50gbs per month. I don't watch a lot of videos on my phone. I always received those data usage messages from at&t. Also I bought my iPhones from Best Buy but for some reason they weren't selling them at launch last year. So I bought my phone directly from AT&T.

Being paranoid, I figure I'm on some list and they sent me a defective phone on purpose. So literally since the iPhone 7 has been out I have used very little of my at&t data. Lucky them.

Anyway, I know I'm being paranoid and it's probably just a bad phone by Apple.

Why don't you install iTunes on your MacBook and do the backup and then send your phone in to apple for the new one you are promised?
You don't need anything from your old Pc to do this.
Choose encrypted backup and write down the password you choose because if you loose that you will never be able to use the backup files to restore any phone and its lost forever.
Not even apple can reset this because of security reasons.
With encrypted backup chosen your new phone will get everything like your phone looks like today.
I would try this first and also after the backup restore and set it up as a new iPhone without using your backup just to see if this phone starts to work on cellular.
Maybe something's wrong with your software.
Wish you luck and hope you get this solved.

Thanks for the reply.

I've backed up, restored, and setup as new about 10 times and with my old laptop it was so slow and torturous. It's the only reason why I purchased the MacBook Pro. I wanted something that would expedite the iTunes sync process.

I'm taking off tomorrow to try your suggestion. I do think I'll take Apple up on their warranty.

Thanks

Firstly I AM NOT AN EXPERT
No idea if this would have worked, ok you visit a friends house and ask to use the computer.
If iTunes is installed great, you log in to your account and backup your iPhone with the special code. They have no idea of log in details or backup code. Then you upload that info your iPhone 4 giving the code.
At the same time clearing all the data from your main iPhone. Only once you are sure that the iPhone 4 is working ok.
Unless l'm wrong and lt would not be the first time believe me. All it takes is a little trust.