What's new

iTunes won't recognize new iPhone 7

i172

Reaction score
I'm helping a family member remotely transition to an iPhone 7. We plugged their iPhone 5 into their laptop, iTunes recognized it, and created a full back up. When we plug the new iPhone 7 into the same laptop, iTunes does not recognize the phone at all. I've updated iTunes to the current version. I went to Device Manager and tried to update the iPhone drivers but it said they were up to date. When the phone is plugged into the computer I can see it in Windows Explorer and access the Internal Storage. I kept getting a Windows pop up for a program called Phone Companion so I turned off AutoPlay to stop this from trying to take control, but the phone is still not recognizable in iTunes.
Any ideas on what else I can try?

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

When you connect a new Apple device to iTunes, you should get a popup on the iPhone, asking you whether or not to trust that computer. Did you see that?

Which iTunes version is installed on the computer? 12.5.4 is the latest, and it requires Windows 7 or later. If there's something different installed, it's possible that it won't work with iTunes. For iOS 10 on your iPhone, you need at least iTunes 12.5.1.

Hi J.A., thanks for the reply. The first time we plugged the phone in, it did give the trust notification, but that was the only time. The laptop is running Windows 10, and we updated iTunes yesterday so I assume it is the most recent version.

It is just strange that iTunes does nothing when I plug the phone in. In iTunes, I've tried going to Account --> Authorizations --> Authorize Computer, but that did nothing. With the phone plugged in, I tried going to File --> Devices --> but all the options for Sync and Restore from Backup are grayed out.

Hmmm, so the computer is listed as trusted but still doesn't show up in iTunes, are you saying I will have to erase the iPhone completely? That is not a step I want to take if I can avoid it. Thanks for the link, that is the page I was working off of yesterday when I updated the drivers but it didn't work. Maybe I will have to call Apple support on this one, would they help with this issue? It seems pretty crazy that iTunes can recognize a 5 but not a 7....

I don't think Joanne meant you had to erase the phone. One last suggestion before you contact Apple, who btw are very helpful, is to make sure the phone is on and unlocked when you plug it into your PC.

For me, even after trusting my PC, I have to unlock my 6S plus when connecting or it does not get recognized by the computer. I don't know why, but try unlocking your phone before connecting the cable (once connected I can let the phone time out and it stays connected)

Hmmm, so the computer is listed as trusted but still doesn't show up in iTunes, are you saying I will have to erase the iPhone completely? That is not a step I want to take if I can avoid it. Thanks for the link, that is the page I was working off of yesterday when I updated the drivers but it didn't work. Maybe I will have to call Apple support on this one, would they help with this issue? It seems pretty crazy that iTunes can recognize a 5 but not a 7....
To untrust a computer, all you have to do is go to Settings - General - Reset on your iPhone, and select Reset Location & Privacy. When you connect the iPhone again, the Trust alert will appear.