What's new

iTunes Update

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Last time I plugged in my phone to charge it, I had a message that there was a new iTunes update for iPhone, so I tried to download it. I am not entirely sure it downloaded, though. What colour is the icon for the newest iTunes app supposed to be now? I thought it was red on both my Mac and my iPhone, but now it appears to have a white background with a border salmon, blue/green, and purple. Is that what the newest icon looks like, or am I looking at an old one? Thanks!

The colour has changed with the latest update. It looks like your iTunes is up to date.

This is what it looks like
image.jpg

Yes, that is what my icon looks like. I wonder why I received an error message then that it was unable to complete the download? Odd....

Thanks. : )

To install the update, your Mac will have to restart - at least that's what my MacBook had to do. Did this happen on your computer?

No, my computer did not restart. There was no message asking me to restart it, either. I suppose I can do, though. Thanks!

All I had to do was close iTunes on my MacBook before starting the iTunes upgrade, then open it after the update was finished. The only time I've had to restart my MacBook was after the installation of a major OSX update.

Interesting. Mine restarts automatically after every OSX update. I don't remember if there was an update when iTunes was updated as well, though.

Interesting. Mine restarts automatically after every OSX update. I don't remember if there was an update when iTunes was updated as well, though.
So will mine, if I don't manually restart it. iTunes updates are separate from OSX updates. The latest iTunes update for Macs came shortly after the public release of OSX 10.10.4.

So will mine, if I don't manually restart it. iTunes updates are separate from OSX updates. The latest iTunes update for Macs came shortly after the public release of OSX 10.10.4.
It looks like I've updated both at the same time, in that case.

Something is wrong with my phone now. I plugged it in a while ago to charge it, and I received the same message about updating iTunes to 8.4.whatever. I said okay, update, but it would not update. I unplugged it and tried it again, but now the phone is unresponsive. I tried turning it off and on again, and all I see on the screen is the red and white (old) iTunes icon with a long, vertical symbol beneath it. I have no idea what to do now. I cannot use the phone or access any apps or anything. Help!

I have the phone plugged into the computer now. A screen said it has to update or restore. Trying to update now. In iTunes all I see is that it is preparing to update, but it is not doing anything else.

Okay, now it says it is updating the phone, but I still cannot see anything else. The iTunes screen on the computer no longer shows my phone's serial number or available space or anything.

Last edited:
Okay, it has been a few minutes, and now I see a white or silver Apple icon on the phone and an horizontal bar beneath it that appears to be slowly "filling up," so I presume the phone is setting itself up properly(?) The screen on my computer is saying iphone firmware.

Now, once again it is asking me if I want to update iTunes to the latest version, and once again I said okay. My phone's icon now appear's on my computer's screen with serial number and amount of available space, which oddly enough is more than it was before this problem began. The screen now says OS 8.1 and below that "iTunes is now updating the software on this phone." I can still see an Apple icon on my phone screen with an horizontal bar beneath it that appears to be filling up again.

It looks like iTunes is updating your iPhone to the most recent software, which is iOS 8.4.

It seemed to finish, and then it asked to update all over again and is doing it again. I am beginning to think that this is a loop that I am not getting out of.

It asking the same question all over again about the update. How do recovery?