What's new

It appears iOS 11.2 unlocked faster charging...

XDRoX

Reaction score
I'm not positive but I believe I read that iOS 11.2 was suppose to unlock a faster form of charging for the iPhone X. But then again I'm positive I read that iOS 11.2 was suppose to make Apple Pay in iMessages available and it didn't do that. Yes, I'm still salty, and no, I don't really want to go back to a beta.

Anyways, I tested two chargers tonight and am happy to report that iOS 11.2 did in fact unlock faster wireless charging. These are the two chargers I tested.
71SS%2BfQKHGL._SL1500_.jpg

81lla3tTZiL._SL1500_.jpg

I got the black one for around $20 on Amazon and the silver "fast charge" one for $35. Both were One Day Prime. Here are the results. The black pad charged 1% of my iPhone X in 459 seconds with a score of 212. The silver pad charged 1% of my iPhone X in 119 seconds with a score of 814.

full

Both pads still performed very poorly compared to the 5W wired power supply the iPhone came with. That charged 1% of my phone in 99 seconds with a score of 1080.
According to Apple the fast charging should be charging at 7.5W which I'm not getting anything close to even with this "fast" charging Samsung silver charger.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap the power bricks and see if I can get the black pad to charge faster with more amps going into it.

I'm not positive but I believe I read that iOS 11.2 was suppose to unlock a faster form of charging for the iPhone X. But then again I'm positive I read that iOS 11.2 was suppose to make Apple Pay in iMessages available and it didn't do that. Yes, I'm still salty, and no, I don't really want to go back to a beta.

Anyways, I tested two chargers tonight and am happy to report that iOS 11.2 did in fact unlock faster wireless charging. These are the two chargers I tested.
71SS%2BfQKHGL._SL1500_.jpg

81lla3tTZiL._SL1500_.jpg

I got the black one for around $20 on Amazon and the silver "fast charge" one for $35. Both were One Day Prime. Here are the results. The black pad charged 1% of my iPhone X in 459 seconds with a score of 212. The silver pad charged 1% of my iPhone X in 119 seconds with a score of 814.

full

Both pads still performed very poorly compared to the 5W wired power supply the iPhone came with. That charged 1% of my phone in 99 seconds with a score of 1080.
According to Apple the fast charging should be charging at 7.5W which I'm not getting anything close to even with this "fast" charging Samsung silver charger.

Tomorrow I'm going to swap the power bricks and see if I can get the black pad to charge faster with more amps going into it.

Interesting. I bought another one couple of days ago. Which app did you use for for checking the charging speed ?

Interesting. I bought another one couple of days ago. Which app did you use for for checking the charging speed ?

I used an app called Amperes.
Here’s a link. Amperes - battery charge info by ANDREY KRASNOV Amperes - battery charge info on the App Store

Apple doesn't allow developers to sell an app that will show us real time battery voltage going into the phone. So this app cleverly and simply records the time it takes to charge the phone 1% and then gives it a score. It's useful because you can compare scores to other chargers. I can't tell you if your charger is faster than mine, but I can tell you if one of my chargers are faster than another one of mine.

Remember to keep everything as equal as possible. By that I mean make sure that if you have a dozen open apps in the background and the screen brightness on 100%, do the same when testing the next charger. Also, iPhones tend to slow down as their battery approaches 100%. So don't run the test once when the phone is at 5% and again when the phone is at 75%. I have heard that charge times will not be slowed down until after 80% but I wouldn't take the chance. Also this app will not even run a test if your phone is over 80%.

When I first got the app me and my son ran a bunch of tests. He's only 9 years old but is really into all this stuff. What we found was very surprising to me. The thickness of the cord played a huge part in how fast it charged the device. Over the years Apple has slowly been thickening the diameter of their charging cords and it really helps. Sometimes as much as 30% faster by a much thicker cord. And it wasn't just if the cord had been used a lot, because we were using brand new Apple brand cords from 7-9 years ago. I buy a lot of Apple stuff and so we have a box of brand new cords that have never been used before.

It was also neat to see that certain devices can not charge any faster after a certain amount of watts. For example an iPod touch 3rd generation charged no faster at 12watts than at 5watts. So it's a waste of time and money to try to charge some devices at higher watts unless they are able to utilize them.

So at least for me this app was worth the $2 or whatever it cost to purchase it. I have always wondered about charging and it was nice to see first hand what certain chargers were capable of. If this stuff interests you I think you'll enjoy this app.

I tried a few different ones and this ones seemed to work the best. Also I hard closed all my open apps and turned my brightness all the way down and also put it on airplane mode. This way the phone charged 15 the fastest. One wireless charger I tried last night never completed the test. It went for 20 minutes and then I turned it off. But I had the phone's brightness up and had a bunch of apps running in the background and the wireless charger wasn't able to charge the phone faster than it was using power. I assume the test probably would have ended in like 30-60 minutes and the score would have been extremely low. After that I decided to turn off everything I could and run more tests.

Last edited:
I used an app called Amperes.
Here’s a link. Amperes - battery charge info by ANDREY KRASNOV Amperes - battery charge info on the App Store

Apple doesn't allow developers to sell an app that will show us real time battery voltage going into the phone. So this app cleverly and simply records the time it takes to charge the phone 1% and then gives it a score. It's useful because you can compare scores to other chargers. I can't tell you if your charger is faster than mine, but I can tell you if one of my chargers are faster than another one of mine.

Remember to keep everything as equal as possible. By that I mean make sure that if you have a dozen open apps in the background and the screen brightness on 100%, do the same when testing the next charger. Also, iPhones tend to slow down as their battery approaches 100%. So don't run the test once when the phone is at 5% and again when the phone is at 75%. I have heard that charge times will not be slowed down until after 80% but I wouldn't take the chance. Also this app will not even run a test if your phone is over 80%.

When I first got the app me and my son ran a bunch of tests. He's only 9 years old but is really into all this stuff. What we found was very surprising to me. The thickness of the cord played a huge part in how fast it charged the device. Over the years Apple has slowly been thickening the diameter of their charging cords and it really helps. Sometimes as much as 30% faster by a much thicker cord. And it wasn't just if the cord had been used a lot, because we were using brand new Apple brand cords from 7-9 years ago. I buy a lot of Apple stuff and so we have a box of brand new cords that have never been used before.

It was also neat to see that certain devices can not charge any faster after a certain amount of watts. For example an iPod touch 3rd generation charged no faster at 12watts than at 5watts. So it's a waste of time and money to try to charge some devices at higher watts unless they are able to utilize them.

So at least for me this app was worth the $2 or whatever it cost to purchase it. I have always wondered about charging and it was nice to see first hand what certain chargers were capable of. If this stuff interests you I think you'll enjoy this app.

I tried a few different ones and this ones seemed to work the best. Also I hard closed all my open apps and turned my brightness all the way down and also put it on airplane mode. This way the phone charged 15 the fastest. One wireless charger I tried last night never completed the test. It went for 20 minutes and then I turned it off. But I had the phone's brightness up and had a bunch of apps running in the background and the wireless charger wasn't able to charge the phone faster than it was using power. I assume the test probably would have ended in like 30-60 minutes and the score would have been extremely low. After that I decided to turn off everything I could and run more tests.

Wow, Thanks a lot for all this info. I will test this for sure.