What's new

Issues with Otterbox Defender Series, looking for a new case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lthodde116

Reaction score
I've had my Otterbox case for every iPhone I've owned, and never had an issue until I got it for my iPhone 4. Overall I love the case and it works very well to protect my phone, however it blocks the sensor that turns the screen off when I put the phone to my ear, causing me to hit mute, end call, and other keys.

Does the Commuter case have the same issue with blocking the sensor? I'm considering switching to that. If it has the same issue, I'll have to just switch brands. I don't mind the bulkiness of the Otterbox, but if it's any bulkier then I don't think I'd like it, so nothing bulkier than the defender case please.

I've had my Otterbox case for every iPhone I've owned, and never had an issue until I got it for my iPhone 4. Overall I love the case and it works very well to protect my phone, however it blocks the sensor that turns the screen off when I put the phone to my ear, causing me to hit mute, end call, and other keys.

Does the Commuter case have the same issue with blocking the sensor? I'm considering switching to that. If it has the same issue, I'll have to just switch brands. I don't mind the bulkiness of the Otterbox, but if it's any bulkier then I don't think I'd like it, so nothing bulkier than the defender case please.

Try the case for the iPhone 4S. If you have the CDMA version. It doesn't have that little piece that messes with the proximity sensor. I had these issues with my iPhone 4 as well and this fixed them.

I have the commuter case as well. It doesn't have a front piece. It just covers the back, sides, bottom, and the top. Otterbox gives you a screen protector to protect the front. Although the outside edges are raised so it'd protect the screen from a face down impact. The commuter is a decently slim case for the protection IMO.

The defender case for the iPhone 4S will fit the iPhone 4? I'll check it out :) Thanks!

No problem! Although I think it's only compatible with the CDMA iPhone 4! I'd contact otterbox themselves for confirmation. They have great customer service, so I'm sure they'll be more than happy to confirm your question. :D

No problem! Although I think it's only compatible with the CDMA iPhone 4! I'd contact otterbox themselves for confirmation. They have great customer service, so I'm sure they'll be more than happy to confirm your question. :D

I'm sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean by CDMA iPhone 4. How do I know if I have it? Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm not too tech savy LOL.

Verizon and Sprint phones are CDMA. AT&T is GSM (uses a SIM card). It's the different cell phone technology of the phones.

Try the Lifeproof case, its a bit more expensive but a much better case overall... Its 100% waterproof

You can also just open the case & pry the plastic piece off that's covering the sensor. That's what I did with mine. Works like a charm now!

Try the Lifeproof case, its a bit more expensive but a much better case overall... Its 100% waterproof

I like the Lifeproof case, its solid and while I don't have a problem dropping my phone either on land or sea, I expect its ruggedness would protect it well. It has served me well in the last 3 mos since I obtained my 4S.

The downside is it adds a bit of bulk to the phone (not really a bad thing - makes it easier to hold). But what bugs me is slipping the audio jack for speakers/headphones into the outlet. Takes a bit of twisting / fumbling.

So I'm going to try a Metal Case from these guys:

Armor Metal Hybrid Case for iPhone 4S/4 - iPhone 4S - iPhone[more-thing.com]

I'll let you know how it works out.

The 4S Defender will fit all iPhone 4/4Ss. I've just shelved my Defender in favor of a Bookbook now, love it.

remove the plastic lens protecting the sensor. that is what I did to mine and my wife's.... Worked like a champ!

Man, I really need to clean all the dust off of it. lol

7f00f42c.jpg

Here is a youtube video of the hack.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfterka said:
I like the Lifeproof case, its solid and while I don't have a problem dropping my phone either on land or sea, I expect its ruggedness would protect it well. It has served me well in the last 3 mos since I obtained my 4S.

The downside is it adds a bit of bulk to the phone (not really a bad thing - makes it easier to hold). But what bugs me is slipping the audio jack for speakers/headphones into the outlet. Takes a bit of twisting / fumbling.

Word of caution, metal case likely ti be far more slippery, causing phone to slide in dash board or out of top pockets - and perhaps down a big white telephone ;(

Be aware that these cases do not cover the ends of the phone on the front side. The glass & phone case are exposed at the top & bottom making it vulnerable to impact. They look nice, but aren't good for protection. They are also just coated hard plastic, not metal. I have the Para Blaze & don't use it for the reasons listed.

Cheers,
kev

Status
Not open for further replies.