What's new

Is Your iPhone Safe In Your Pocket At the Gym?

throgs

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Otterbox Defender (or more like a worry).
Here is my worry. I like to use my iPhone at the gym. I also have an iPod touch. I have used the iPod touch at the gym, with no problems (it has a very thin rubber protector).

I prefer the iPhone because my gym lacks wi-fi, so I can't get pandora. Here is the problem. The Otterbox is not too bulky, but more bulky than the iPod touch.
So when I do a couple of exercises, with the iPhone in my pocket, I get nervous.
For instance, say I do a dumbell exercise (curls), well the DB comes close to contact with the front/side of my leg where the iPhone is in the pocket.
If I do a dumbell bench, same problem, you begin with the DB in your lap, right next to the phone.

The biggest is when I do deadlift, because again the bar almost grazes the front/side of my shorts where the iPhone resides.

Now so far, no problems, but this makes me very concerned. I am worried that I am either going to knick, hit, or drop a DB on my lap with the iPhone in my pocket getting touched, or the deadlift barbell will hit it.

So I have a few questions......
1) Am I being a worry busybody or is this really playing with fire?
2) What do you all do when you workout in the gym (lifting weights, cardio is no problem, very safe). Do you keep your iPhone in your pocket or do you have/recommend an armband?
Most people I see in the gym have it in their pocket, a few use bands...so that makes me thing perhaps am I just worrying, but I dunno.

3) Do you recommend an armband, or is the ottorbox going to protect it just fine if I hastly hit the phone in my pocket with a barbell or dumbell?
4) Or if I had the Griffen defender, would I be all set even if I drop a 60 DB on myself!

***Note to mods, I decided to make a separate thread for this topic, instead of putting it in the "protection" or "gym call disable" one because this is a larger question, and a very important one.
I felt if I put in one of the prior ones, already a few pages into it, this would be missed, and for people using the phone at the gym who want protection, indeed this is a larger, different topic.

I use this at the gym and love it: Apple Lanyard Headphones - headphones - Ear-bud, Binaural

It keeps it out of the way, and if you run as long as you put it under your shirt it doesn't bounce around. To me, this is a more ideal solution. I always hated the arm bands that put the iPod or iPhone on your arm as the chord still gets in the way.. and I hate having a device in my pocket for the reasons you mention.

This solution is better.

Do they have it for the iPhone...that was for a nano.

What do you all suggest for using as your case when at the gym?