What's new

Is there an App Manager app for IOS 5?

Rocko

Reaction score
Coming from Android there are apps than with a couple of clicks can kill all the background apps. Is there something like this that works on IOS 5? Thanks.

iOS apps aren't written that poorly. So technically, unless you are jailbreaking, you don't need an "app killer".

Plus to stop the "flame war", iOS has very limited background app execution thread capabilities. IE not a lot of apps can run in background to begin with.

And if you think killing the app out of memory is a good thing because it frees up memory for other apps, you have read way too much bogus hype from the Android world. Since that issue was squashed when 2.1 was released.

you want to kill apps - hit the Home button twice, hold down on the app you want to kill in the bar that shows up in the bottom of the screen, touch the X at the top corner. There, you have killed the app. takes a matter of a second or two - no need to run an app just to kill another app.

iOS apps aren't written that poorly. So technically, unless you are jailbreaking, you don't need an "app killer".

Plus to stop the "flame war", iOS has very limited background app execution thread capabilities. IE not a lot of apps can run in background to begin with.

And if you think killing the app out of memory is a good thing because it frees up memory for other apps, you have read way too much bogus hype from the Android world. Since that issue was squashed when 2.1 was released.

Thanks. I realize Froyo had better mem managagment. I just didn't know how IOS worked and if it had the same problem like 2.1 and older android did with many apps kept in memory.

This iPhone is getting way better. Ugh! I hated that I always had to kill the background apps. Now I don't have to worry about that. Awesome.

bustos82 said:
This iPhone is getting way better. Ugh! I hated that I always had to kill the background apps. Now I don't have to worry about that. Awesome.

Can you believe that there are android fans who actually like killing apps? I don't understand why. They prefer to have it the Android way, and they say that ALL of the iPhone apps in the background waste the battery. I just laugh. They don't know iOS very well.



iPhoneTibster said:
Can you believe that there are android fans who actually like killing apps? I don't understand why. They prefer to have it the Android way, and they say that ALL of the iPhone apps in the background waste the battery. I just laugh. They don't know iOS very well.



Ill back you up on that cause I was one of those.... Lmao! Today a great example two of my buddy's said how's the iPhone and I told him freaking awesome don't have to worry about damn app killer or having it plugged in all the time.



Yeah, I can believe it. Up until Froyo it was just something you got used to doing. It's not hard to imagine they carried that habit over to the iPhone.

Last edited:
What you seem to miss is when we refer to "killing" an app it just means closing it to clear memory. I have both an Android and iPhone5. Found an app for the iPHone that shows what is running in the background and believe me, just hitting the home button does not close the app. It is still running in the background. Who needs that? I also am looking for an app that closes (kills) a running app. My Android has one and I use it all the time.