What's new

Is it worth doing all updates?to

Marie86

Reaction score
i used to do every update on my ipad2 but after one I think it was ios8 it made my iPad lose everything and all that was on screen was the charger pic. Couldn't do anything with it and had to download iTunes off my laptop onto it for it to work again. I heard that Apple charge something like £100 to fix this problem which is disgusting as it was their update that caused it to happen. Well from then on I have avoided updates to avoid this happening again. I now have iPhone 6s and was wondering if it's worth doing any updates as I've read some have caused phones to not work properly. I have never noticed any difference on iPad when updating it so is there any need. Also I was thinking if an update would cause problems on one say iPhone would it cause problems on iPad as well. As I am thinking of doing update on iPad to see if it works then if it does do it on iPhone.

I always backup my iPhone before doing an update. This means if there were update problems, I would have a recent backup to restore my device.
Updates frequently include security and anti-malware protection.

I have no information that Apple charges to fix problems from updates.

Every update comes with bug fixes, sometimes (not always) also with new features. Apple also updates the security with every update. This is the security content of iOS 9.1, e.g.:
About the security content of iOS 9.1 - Apple Support

That's why you should keep your device up to date. It's not necessary to update immediately, though, and if there are problems, you'll get help in this forum.
Most of the time, restoring your device will solve problems. It's important to backup your device regularly, in case you have to restore from a backup.

I have owned 6 iDevices in the meantime, and I'm still using three of them. I never had problems with one of the updates.

My son had a problem with his 4s installing IOS 9 and the advisor at Apple couldn't have been nicer or more helpful and there was no charge.