What's new

Is it possible to use Facetime with the video turned off?

jmt356

Reaction score
Is it possible to use Facetime with the video turned off?

According to that link, you can make a FaceTime audio in FaceTime by placing a FaceTime audio call using your contacts list by tapping the phone icon.
However, when I try this, nothing is happening. I see the icon is clicked because it flashes momentarily, but no call is made (whether making an audio or video call). However, I can make the video call by going into my call history and tapping on the past video call. I would however like to make an audio call.

Is placing a FaceTime audio call using my contacts list by tapping the phone icon next to a contact the same as using FaceTime Audio? If so, it does not work. If not, how do I use FaceTime Audio?

Also, is there a way to take FaceTime off of speakerphone?

Also, is there a way to take FaceTime off of speakerphone?
As soon as you start the FaceTime audio call, tap the speaker button to turn off speakerphone mode.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Is placing a FaceTime audio call using my contacts list by tapping the phone icon next to a contact the same as using FaceTime Audio? If so, it does not work. If not, how do I use FaceTime Audio?
Tap the FaceTime app icon on your home screen, then tap the audio button at the top of the contacts list, then select which contact you want to call. This screenshot is from my iPad but the same procedure works with an iPhone. If you want to call someone not already in your contacts list, enter their info in the box just under the audio button.
image.jpg

When I launch FaceTime from my home screen, I come to the Recents tab. When I select Contacts,the only options I have are Groups, All Contacts and +. There is not Video or Audio option.
Also, there is one Contact that I am unable to contact unless I tap the name from within the Recents tab. If I search for the Contact within Contacts or within Favorites and try to call, nothing happens. Why is this?

When you open the FaceTime app do you see something that looks like this? This is what I see if I open FaceTime on my iPod running iOS 6.1.6. There is no recents tab in the current FaceTime app.
image.jpg

Which iOS version is your iPhone on? FaceTime audio calls became available with iOS 7 in September 2013. On iOS 7 or later, the first screen you should see when opening the FaceTime app is the contacts screen in my previous post.

I am running iOS 7 (iPhone 4). When I launch Facetime, I come to whatever tab I was last viewing. Thus, if I was last viewing the Contacts tabl, I get a screen that states “Al Contacts” at the top, similar to the one that you posted above. However, if I was last viewing Favorites or Recents, that tab will open up for me instead.
However, even when I am in the Contacts tab, I do not see the Video and Audio option that you showed in post #9, above.

I am running iOS 7 (iPhone 4). When I launch Facetime, I come to whatever tab I was last viewing. Thus, if I was last viewing the Contacts tabl, I get a screen that states “Al Contacts” at the top, similar to the one that you posted above. However, if I was last viewing Favorites or Recents, that tab will open up for me instead.
However, even when I am in the Contacts tab, I do not see the Video and Audio option that you showed in post #9, above.
Are you on WiFi when you're trying to make a FaceTime audio call? The iPhone 4 doesn't support FaceTime over cellular.

Your facetime app is acting like it was still on iOS 6. You're supposed to have the FaceTime audio feature in iOS 7. Maybe your update to iOS 7 wasn't completely successful, at least in the FaceTime app. Have you considered connecting your iPhone to iTunes on your computer backing it up and restoring the iPhone to the latest iOS version, then set up the iPhone from your backup and let us know if FaceTime audio has started working.