What's new

is it possible to share wifi internet connection over wifi using hotspot in 4S?

ansant

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum & feeling great to be here!!!

My local internet provider can add only 1 MAC ID to his WIFI router for providing me internet connection hence I enabled it for my IPHONE.
I am able to access internet using this WiFi connection and would like to share this connection with other wifi devices eg. PC/other mobile etc.
When i am trying to setup hotspot its asking me to contact my cellular service provider?
can you help me is there any options to address my need...am running 5.1 software version in my 4S.

ansant

Umm ok i think someone is confused.

Wifi on a home based internet provider can allow multiple devices to access the wifi, i think the local provider is talking about adding another IP address to allow another PC to access the internet which would not need wifi.

Remember Wifi is wireless internet any PC or Laptop or device that has wifi capabilities can access any Wifi router (as long as no password is required) if password is required then of course you need the password to login to the wireless connection. There is no need for another mac address or Ip address for such a thing to occur.

Now that being said, in order to have hotspot to run you require another data connection package from your phones provider to activate the service its about 20-30 dollars a month at most places.

If your jailbroken you can use programs like tetherme or pdanet to activate the service for a onetime fee around 5.00 i think pdanet is free ( not sure though ), but it is illegal to use these programs and if caught your phone provider will 9/10 add automatically a package. Many ppl use tetherme and have no issues, but just be forwarned is all.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am new to this forum & feeling great to be here!!!

My local internet provider can add only 1 MAC ID to his WIFI router for providing me internet connection hence I enabled it for my IPHONE.
I am able to access internet using this WiFi connection and would like to share this connection with other wifi devices eg. PC/other mobile etc.
When i am trying to setup hotspot its asking me to contact my cellular service provider?
can you help me is there any options to address my need...am running 5.1 software version in my 4S.

ansant

The above poster is right.

The hotspot feature within the phone uses your cellular data from your data plan....and coverts it into a network that other wifi capable devices can connect to.

It does not make it so that the wifi your device is later connected to connect to other devices. Other wifi capable device need to connect directly to the router in which the wifi is coming from

There is a tweak called MyWi that can do what you are talking about...but it is expensive...and ultimately not worth it IMHO.

It is also more detectable by carriers.

They did this to us in college where you registered to a MAC address to try and keep people from running clusters for SETI and folding at home type programs. Buy yourself a wireless router and give the Mac address of the router to your ISP and then you have hard connections or wireless at your disposal. That'll do what I think you are asking, just not doing it with the iPhone but a dedicated piece of equipment designed for that purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jailbreak and use TetherMe it is the best if you ask me.

* iPhone 3GS can share a connection with USB or Bluetooth. iPhone 4 or later and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular can share a connection using Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.

reference from - iOS: Understanding Personal Hotspot

can you help me to get a clarity on this pls..

Umm ok i think someone is confused.

Wifi on a home based internet provider can allow multiple devices to access the wifi, i think the local provider is talking about adding another IP address to allow another PC to access the internet which would not need wifi.

Remember Wifi is wireless internet any PC or Laptop or device that has wifi capabilities can access any Wifi router (as long as no password is required) if password is required then of course you need the password to login to the wireless connection. There is no need for another mac address or Ip address for such a thing to occur.

Now that being said, in order to have hotspot to run you require another data connection package from your phones provider to activate the service its about 20-30 dollars a month at most places.

If your jailbroken you can use programs like tetherme or pdanet to activate the service for a onetime fee around 5.00 i think pdanet is free ( not sure though ), but it is illegal to use these programs and if caught your phone provider will 9/10 add automatically a package. Many ppl use tetherme and have no issues, but just be forwarned is all.

I got confused by below article from apple...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

* iPhone 3GS can share a connection with USB or Bluetooth. iPhone 4 or later and iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular can share a connection using Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.

I got confused by below article from apple...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What that means is the 3gs phone can share files through bluetooth and usb connection only, example: sending photos, music to another iphone or to and from a PC.

The iphone 4 and above can share photos, music and files through wifi, bluetooth and usb to and from a PC or Iphone.

Now to share a data connection which hotspot is for as well through wifi you will need to do one of the things i suggested in my earlier post. Cell provider plan or jailbreak and buy (tetherme = free access afterwards)

Also to transfer pictures and music from PC to iphone and back really does not require hotspot to be activated as there is programs Free that allow such a thing, itunes allows this.

Last edited: