What's new

Is it possible to put music on phone without iTunes?

unixchar

Reaction score
I have most of my music on CD. The problem is that I no longer even have a CD player in my car. I listen to music by playing it on my phone and using a wireless speaker.

A while ago I tried to put some music in MP3 format onto my iPhone. I did it using iTunes but found that when I try to play the music in my car, only the music I paid for in iTunes shows up!

There is no way I can afford to buy all of my music again and need to know if it is possible to transfer MP3 to iPhone so that it works exactly like music I purchase in iTunes?

I should add that I don't have iTunes anymore on my laptop so definitely need to find a way without it

Dropbox can store and play MP3 files.

If you use it on your PC, load the songs to Dropbox. Install the app on your iPhone to play and listen to the songs. It's not possible to import them to the Music app, though.

Dropbox can store and play MP3 files.

If you use it on your PC, load the songs to Dropbox. Install the app on your iPhone to play and listen to the songs. It's not possible to import them to the Music app, though.

Ok thanks. it's just that I wanted to be able to play music on my iPhone especially when driving and via my wireless speakers

It seems unfair that unless I buy through iTunes it won't work properly or at all! This is the only problem I have with iPhone.

You can always redownload iTunes!

And it's probably just a question of settings. I'd have to look into this (I'm using Apple Music, not iTunes).

You can always redownload iTunes!

And it's probably just a question of settings. I'd have to look into this (I'm using Apple Music, not iTunes).

I have quite an old laptop and it only had windows 7. The version of iTunes I was using was out dated and I was a bit wary of using it for that reason.

I have quite an old laptop and it only had windows 7. The version of iTunes I was using was out dated and I was a bit wary of using it for that reason.
A computer running Windows 7 is capable of running the latest version of iTunes, iTunes 12.6.

Last edited:
I use this to sometimes, just connect my iPhone to the car radio and play my copied songs. Through Apple Music

We have Windows 10, and although iTunes' previous version worked fine, we can't upgrade to the latest version. Windows Installer error. And Apple's instructions for step by step install appear to be written for IT people--I'm not!

I have recently done exactly the same as you, at first l was waiting for the screen to pop up saying a version of iTunes was available but it never came.
I tried this twice shutting my pc down each time, then l noticed that it was moved to bottom of the screen, the lower bit if you know what l mean.
Clicked on that and saw the normal options, to update iTunes and the other thing l never use some player gadget or other. Hope that helps

I have Windows 7 on my laptop and PC. I have the latest version of iTunes on each, but you can use earlier versions. If you are worried about security then turn your laptop's wi-fi off before starting iTunes, you don't need it to rip your cd into iTunes or to put your music onto your iPhone.

Once you have your library set up you can put all your music in Apple's iCloud and download the music you want to take with you. What I am getting at is there is no reason to limit yourself by foregoing iTunes for whatever reason you have/had unless you just choose to.

Think l must have misunderstood the question oops