What's new

Is Iphone 4 going to be obsolete?

amyberta

Reaction score
I was AT&T before. I was told I qualify for an IPhone 5 for $100. I was told the 4'woukd be obsolete. Also I

would have to pay a connection fee for $36 and then a charger, which is different from the one I have for the
car is &30. So much for my $100 phone. I told them I would think about it. Is there much difference between the 4 and the 5.
I would have to leave the phone if I got the 5, which I wasn't happy about.

Thanks

Amy

The 4 is on its way to being obsolete. With the massive change on iOS 7, the iPhone 4 in today's standards is not up to par, as iOS 7 works best with a dual core processor, which first came with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S releases. But, since the iPhone 3GS was cut because it really was the end of its longevity because of the lack of resources that's needed in iOS 7, Apple couldn't cut 2 devices off the market, it would basically be saying "iPhone 4S and above or nothing". It would be logical and reasonable to let go of 1 device at a time based on their age. iOS 7 will most likely be the end of the iPhone 4.

As for the car charger, if your car charger is a direct 5V input that has a 30-pin head on the end rather than one that allows you to use an actual USB cable to plug into the head of the car charger, then you'll need a new car charger "plug" if you will. If it's a detachable one that you can replace with a new USB cable such as the one below, then you're fine.

56894dd9ea2569ba7.jpg

Is there going to be a big difference with the 5 and 5s? I don't know if I should just wait.

From a technical common sense PoV, not really. The whole "fingerprint reader" hype isn't that big a deal whether or not they incorporate that in the 5S. Most likely a better camera once again, possibly a little more RAM. Processor will be slightly faster in terms of maybe 200-300MHz, most likely won't add cores to the current dual core since dual core at the current 1.2GHz speed is effective enough.

Do you think the 16 gb is okay? I have that on the 4. Thanks for answering all my questions.

Generally 16GB is enough. I personally don't take that many pictures on my phone, and when I do, I upload them straight to DropBox so I don't have to keep them on my phone. I have quite a few apps but nothing that takes that away from your phone. Some music, a few apps, texts, etc. Unless you have an abnormal amount of songs and extremely large apps, 16GB is fine.

Generally 16GB is enough. I personally don't take that many pictures on my phone, and when I do, I upload them straight to DropBox so I don't have to keep them on my phone. I have quite a few apps but nothing that takes that away from your phone. Some music, a few apps, texts, etc. Unless you have an abnormal amount of songs and extremely large apps, 16GB is fine.

Thanks, I'll probably get the 16 gb. I do have a lot of pictures though.

I purchased an iPhone 5 earlier this year for myself (after using Droid phones for a couple of years). The iPhone 4 (through Verizon) was a freebie if I extended my contract, but I wanted the NEW one. I battled over whether the 4S would be sufficient, but for me, I wanted latest greatest. However, when my 17 year old daughter dropped her old Droid phone in the toilet, I told her she could get whichever phone she could afford, so she opted for the iPhone 4, which was free (well, free plus taxes and various fees and higher cost insurance because it's an iPhone!!). Now I am hearing things like it may be obsolete when iOS 7 comes out, but I wonder if the new iOS is automatically pushed to the phones, or can we opt to not have it push to hers, or do the updates ONLY happen when syncing with iTunes (too new to iPhone myself!) Also, I heard AT&T is offering to replace their customers' iPhone 4's with 5's for $100 (plus I'm sure fees, etc). Does anyone know if Verizon is doing this?

Also, to add to a post earlier where someone mentioned the difference in chargers for the iPhone 5. There is an adapter which works fine for me in my car, where I used to plug in my old iPod classic. Look on Amazon for Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter, and you'll find it.

Thanks!