What's new

Is Apple Targeting Jailbreaking With New Patent?

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
battery-life.jpg

SlashGear reports today on an Apple patent application that could mean that future Apple devices will have the ability to automatically lock themselves and send special alerts to their owners, as well as possibly even alerting Apple, if they are used by someone who is not authorised to use them, or, even more significantly, if they are modified in an unauthorised manner.

SlashGear says that although the patent refers to a security application, such as a way of alerting you if someone steals your phone and tries to use it, the way in which the patent is written could mean that any attempt at hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking or SIM swapping, or any other unauthorised activity that you can think of, will trigger an automatic lock-down response from the device, or a block of certain features. SlashGear adds that it could even be possible for the device to take a picture of the person who is attempting the unauthorised action.

As far as the specific issue of jailbreaking is concerned, SlashGear posits a “worst-case scenario”, where Apple could use the security system detailed in the patent as a way of monitoring jailbreaking and unlocking, and possibly even of remotely blocking handsets. Even more scarily, the patent refers to ways that the device could be modified to track a user, such as via voice analysis, heartbeat sensors, and special codes.

SlashGear concludes by saying that with the recent DMCA ruling that jailbreaking is legal, full blocking would probably not be viable.

Source: ArsTechnica via SlashGear

Sneaky lawyers finding a loophole. This is only going to more and more people to use droid

*if* and when that happens, I'll tell Stevie and Apple to go !#f*k themselves.... until then, I'll mod, hack, and use the damn phone how I wish...

*if* and when that happens, I'll tell Stevie and Apple to go !#f*k themselves.... until then, I'll mod, hack, and use the damn phone how I wish...
well said all what i want to know why they are trying to stop the jailbreaking.
my money...my phone why is apple interfering :mad: