What's new

Iphone6 I only want to sync one way

Peter_6605

Reaction score
Just replaced my BB at work with an iphone and I need some help setting up the email. Emails come to me at work and they are sync to the iphone 6 so I can look at them. My problem is at work I display unread emails only. So if I look at an email on my iphone and forget to mark it unread, when I get to work it is not on my compter. I want to be able to look at, delete, read emails on the iphone but I do not want the action I take on the iphone to go back to my work computer. I only want to sync from the computer to the iphone when I recieve an email, I do not want the iphone to sync back to the computer. Any Apps out there that will do this for me if the standard packaged app falls short?

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Peter_6605!

Which kind of account are you trying not to sync? Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, ...; POP or IMAP?

As far as I know the built in Mail app is meant to work the other way round. If something is not syncing, there's a problem with the account or the app.

For some accounts, it's possible to select not to sync to the server (Mailbox behaviours in Advanced settings of the account) - it's possible for Drafts, Sent, Archive and Deleted Mailbox, but not for the Inbox, as you'd need it.

I am using outlook at work. Any Apps that would do what I want to do?

Sorry, I don't know an app that doesn not sync the Inbox. Maybe someone else can help.

As far as I know there's also nothing in the account's online settings that will prevent the iPhone from syncing.

If I understand what you need, it sounds like you want to be able to read emails on your phone but still show up on your work computer in Outlook? If this is a POP 3 account you can set your iPhone email account to never delete from server. Look under the account's Advanced settings > incoming settings > delete from server > never.

Sorry, I don't know an app that doesn not sync the Inbox. Maybe someone else can help.

As far as I know there's also nothing in the account's online settings that will prevent the iPhone from syncing.
If sync one way is out then any apps out there that can be set so they do not mark the email read when you open them?

DaveM's post above yours gives some good advice. Is your email account set up as POP account? In that case you can use Dave's instructions.

I had pop accounts but because of another problem deleted my email account and then reinstalled it. IOS 8 no longer has the pop option but if you put in your address like [email protected] instead of [email protected] then it won't find it correctly but then will allow you to use a pop account. Pop accounts will let you leave messages on your server where mall won't.