IPhone X’s Max

Discussion in 'iPhone Xs Max' started by Moparherb, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Moparherb

Moparherb Member

well I’m as excited as an old guy can get. I just pulled the pin on a new iPhone X’s max direct from Apple. None of the Verizon stores around here have any so it’s off to Apple I went. I’m also taking advantage of their IPhone X trade in program. So they tell me I’ll see my phone around the 16th of October......I can’t wait. Hope everything goes smooth when it gets here. When does the new phone start working and the old phone not work. That part I don’t quite understand. Hope they send instructions.

• Like Like x 5
  2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

The new iPhone should start working when you insert the SIM card from your iPhone X. Back up your iPhone X and set up your new iPhone X’s Max from that backup. Restoring from an iTunes backup is much faster than from an iCloud backup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moparherb

Moparherb Member

scifan....I’m not sure my current iPhone X has a SIM card. I purchased it outright so I guess I don’t know if it has one or not and how do I get it out if it does have one?

4. scifan57

All iPhone Xs Max phones have one eSIM and one regular SIM card. There's a SIM card holder on the side, just like every other recent iPhone. iPhone Xs and Xs Max iPhones sold in China have two regular SIM cards.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moparherb

Moparherb Member

scifan.....I checked and as you said my iPhone X does have a Verizon SIM card. So I told Apple during the purchase that I was a Verizon customer. So you are saying to back up my iPhone X and then take the SIM card out of it and place it in the new iPhone X’s Max and follow the on screen instructions, setting up from the cloud. Will this preserve my contacts and photos.....any help is appreciated. I usually go to the Verizon store to buy my phones but they did not have stock on the iPhone X’s Max.

6. scifan57

If you have a computer it would be quicker to back up your iphone to iTunes on the computer. That backup would have the photos and contacts that were on the iPhone when the backup was made. Setting up an iPhone from an iCloud backup can take significantly longer but it will restore the same data to your new iPhone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. zstairlessone

zstairlessone Well-Known Member

If you purchase from Apple you can tell them your provider and they can ship you a phone with the correct SIM installed. If I remember correctly, after I backed up my old phone I started my new one and during the process I got it on my wifi then it activated and I pulled my old phone's SIM out of the old phone. I think I gave Apple my number but they have it anyway.

• Like Like x 2