What's new

IPhone X Face recognition

Anyone else notice on 11.3 beta 4 Face ID has become a bit slow and fails a bit more now?

Anyone else notice on 11.3 beta 4 Face ID has become a bit slow and fails a bit more now?
It is a beta release and you shouldn’t have any expectation that everything will work perfectly. You can file a bug report if you’re a developer or report the problem using the feedback app if you’re part of the public beta program.

It is a beta release and you shouldn’t have any expectation that everything will work perfectly. You can file a bug report if you’re a developer or report the problem using the feedback app if you’re part of the public beta program.

Oh I know this just seeing if it was just me is all and it’s really not that bad just a little more hit and miss.

Oh I know this just seeing if it was just me is all and it’s really not that bad just a little more hit and miss.
As long as it's working properly by the public release of iOS 11.3 there'll be nothing to worry about.

Found the issue. Apparently it’s very picky about screen protector placement, I’m using the unicorn beetle E2E and it is just ever so slightly covering the tops of the sensors, less then a millimeter. I guess that’s enough lol, I put another one on and moved it up a bit and now no issues.

Found the issue. Apparently it’s very picky about screen protector placement, I’m using the unicorn beetle E2E and it is just ever so slightly covering the tops of the sensors, less then a millimeter. I guess that’s enough lol, I put another one on and moved it up a bit and now no issues.
Thanks for letting us know. Your problem was really puzzling but the solution was simplicity itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know. Your problem was really puzzling but the solution was simplicity itself.

I know right! I literally put that screen protector on as the phone was updating hahahah. Just shocked how less then half a mil can cause issues.

I started this thread so anything to do with unlocking the phone or the face recognition feature could be posted to help others.

My findings so far are that face recognition to unlock the phone only works in portrait mode with the the phone the correct way up.

And yes it works in total darkness.

I just purchased a new iphone X and have not been able to get the face recognition working at all. I've tried everything. The unit has the latest software. Anyone else have this issue? If so, did you fix it and how?
Thanks.

I just purchased a new iphone X and have not been able to get the face recognition working at all. I've tried everything. The unit has the latest software. Anyone else have this issue? If so, did you fix it and how?
Thanks.
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Make sure the TrueDepth camera isn’t covered by a screen protector or case, and that there’s no dirt. Eyes, nose and mouth have to be visible to the camera.
Your iPhone’s software version should be up to date. That’s iOS 11.3.1 right now.
Turn Face ID off, then enable it again. This has to be done in the Settings app, in Face ID & Passcode - iPhone Unlock (disable, then turn on again).
If that doesn’t help, reset it (Settings - Face ID & Passcode - Reset Face ID).
Next option: reset all settings. That’s in Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings, and will set back all your settings to default.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the tips.
The true depth camera is clear; software is up to date; full face is visable; disabled and re-enabled Face ID many times; reset Face ID many times; the emogies work, so I know the depth camera is working.hesitant to do a complete reset but may try it once my backup is current. Very strange.

Thank you for the tips.
The true depth camera is clear; software is up to date; full face is visable; disabled and re-enabled Face ID many times; reset Face ID many times; the emogies work, so I know the depth camera is working.hesitant to do a complete reset but may try it once my backup is current. Very strange.
The reset I’ve suggested won’t erase your device. It will just set back your settings to default, so you’d have to go through the Settings app, and set up everything as preferred.

If resetting settings doesn’t work, take your iPhone to the next Apple Retail Store.