What's new

Iphone will not restore or even come out of recovery mode!!

Fozzie794

Reaction score
Hi all,

2 days ago my Iphone 4s suddenly disconnected from my carrier and in the top right corner it just said 'Searching...'. I thought it was a problem with my vodafone sim card, so i got a replacement one, it still didn't work, so i tried it in my friends iphone 4 and it worked! So obviously now i know it is a problem with my Iphone. That same day i pop into my local Apple store and a worked there said i should try to restore my Iphone and hopefully it will reset the phone and therefore pick up signal again. So i restored my iphone on my itunes when i got home, it gets halfway through the restore until it reaches firemware and then suddenly it stops the restore and says there is an unknown error. (error code -1) Since then my phone is now stuck in recovery mode and will always get stuck on the firmware part of the restore. I've tried multiple ways of restoring the iphone and getting it out of recovery mode with recboot etc, but nothing seems to work. If anyone has had the problem before or knows how to fix it i would greatly appreciate your help/advice.

Rarely do error -1 issues get resolved. You can try putting it into DFU mode and restoring it. In many cases, an issue in Recovery Mode can be resolved by putting it into DFU mode though error -1 is not up ere on the list as it generally refers to a hardware issue, in this case, I'd say that there's a problem with your baseband chipset, which is why you're not getting any signal

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

Ok cheers mate, seems like i'll have to take it into the store.

Ok cheers mate, seems like i'll have to take it into the store.

Try a DFU restore at home first. Then if its under warranty, bring it into a local Apple store for a replacement. If not, they might give you a slight discount on a re-purchase of the device

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

Tried it and it didn't work :( Thanks for the advice anyway buddy.