What's new

iPhone tracking or hacking

cruizer

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum for one very specific reason.

First, Can you do anything to an iPhone before it has been activated on a phone service, in this case Verizon?

If so, how can you tell what was done?

Also, how can you tell if someone is tracking your iPhone?

Thanks!

First of, just hook the phone to iTunes and do a phone restore. That will remove anything no matter what was done.

And "Find my iPhone" has a toggle for both turning it on and showing when it is in use.

Thanks Skull One. There aren't any secret ways that someone can track a specific iPhone? That the use wouldn't be able to see? That's what I am worried about the most.

Thanks!

Ok, I have good news and bad news then.

Good news. Once you personally do the phone restore, turn off "Find my iPhone" and create a lock for using the phone, no one should be able to do anything directly to the phone to track it without you knowing it.

Bad news. Your phone still has to connect to the wireless towers and if three towers can see you, anyone with a warrant can triangulate your position to within 900 meters or less. And by less I mean, if they look at the ping time for each of the towers and do the full math, they can get your position down to roughly a meter.

We're more worried about being tracked by a computer savvy family member who took and signed for the phones from the delivery guy, with nobody's permission but his own.
Thanks! You've made us feel much better!

If all the phones still had their initial "Welcome" screen on them to set them up for first time use, he didn't touch them.

Thanks! I'll check that out when we get them back. But I doubt it.