iPhone Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'iPhone Help' started by CalifJewls, Feb 12, 2011.

1. nycadam

nycadam Member

Great thread - gets the juices flowin', so thanks all who contributed.

A couple of things I have recently learned:

Was at an Apple store a few weeks ago as my original iPad was running SUPER slow. One of the store “genius” folks told me you should turn off your idevice for at least five minutes at least once a week. He explained to me that I should think of it as a car engine or computer – you need to shut if off completely for the engine to stop idling – kind of like a virtual deep breath. Made sense to me and did help a bit with speed.

Also more of a question: When you open the camera from the lock screen if you are running latest ios, it shows tabs for video and picture files separately – but only ones you shoot AFTER you open the camera from the lock screen in this manner, nothing in your photographic history. Anyone know how this could be toggled on when you unlock the phone correctly and open your photo/video app?

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

comes in handy soo much!

3. crowd pleaser

crowd pleaser Member

Agreed, i often wonder what wordily idiot decided on using the words dyslexia or dyslexic to describe some one already burdened with a reading or spelling problem?

• Like Like x 2
  4. midrange

midrange New Member

Not sure if this tip was said as I didn't go through all 10 pages.

If you use PassLock and someone puts in a code too many times, it will lock your phone out. Open iTunes on your computer. Hold your sleep button before plugging in the USB, this will let iTunes know it needs to be restored and you will be able to unlock the phone. NOTE: This will reset the phone which is why its important to keep your phone backed up on iTunes.

5. Julie1948

Julie1948 New Member

I am having trouble killing an app. I can get as far as tapping the - sign, but as soon as I use an open app. the killed ones reappears

6. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

As posted by one of our iOS developers: The list of apps you see in the task manager (double press home button) is a list of previously used apps, this is not a list if running apps. It's best to simply let the system manage hinge on its own.

7. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Zig9449 thanks for mentioning about the inbuilt dictionary, that's a useful tool I didn't know I had, brilliant 😃

8. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

Each time I add an emoticon from my keyboard it translates into a code like 'ddeo3', I see other posts with emoticons, how do I add these?

9. dbplumb

dbplumb Well-Known Member

New Zealand, where all the iPhones are unlocked
    Settings> General>keyboard>Keyboards>Add new keyboard. Choose Emoji and now you will have a new icon on the bottom row of your input screen next to 123

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

10. galaxyman

galaxyman New Member

dbplumb I already have the Emoji keyboard,

11. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Generally speaking, only other iOS devices can read the emojis made by your iPhone. I think maybe Macs can, also, but I don't have a Mac to test. So, if you are looking at posts, emails, messages, etc. that we're created by an iDevice, only other iDevices can "see" the actual emoji. All others will see the coding.

Marilyn

12. book

book New Member

Mickey - I thought that was the case, too but my son recently downloaded Emoji on his Android and they work when we text each other. I have the 4S and he has a Samsung. That said, he's rooted and is kind of a super-geek, so maybe he found a work-around. lol His girlfriend (he's 24) has an iOS device, so I'm sure that's why he broke down and downloaded the Emoji, as he is NOT a fan of smiley faces and such. :p

13. captphill

captphill New Member

RE:Screen cap. I couldn't get it to work. Every time hold home button down I get Seri. I do have a pic of my fully charged batteries on my camera roll. I always wondered how it got there.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  14. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

If you get Siri while trying to take a screenshot, you are holding the Home button too long or are not pressing the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time (or both).

It takes practice, but it's a quick, simultaneous press of both buttons that creates the screenshot.

Marilyn

15. captphill

captphill New Member

I got it. Twice I shut down the phone on the 3rd try I simultaneously pressed both buttons for an instant. When I let up I actually herd the shudder click. I had taken a pic of my home page. Thanks for the reply and clarification of the TIP.