What's new

Iphone Tethering

Firefighter51

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a way to get free wifi tethering on the Iphone 4s without jailbreaking it? Thanks

Firefighter51 said:
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there a way to get free wifi tethering on the Iphone 4s without jailbreaking it? Thanks

No mate. Sorry. There is no way to activate the tethering hotspot without paying for a plan unless you jailbreaki

Must be jailbroken to do anything useful.

Last edited:
No mate. Sorry. There is no way to activate the tethering hotspot without paying for a plan unless you jailbreaki

Must be jailbroken to do anything useful.

This is correct any free tethering would need a jailbroken phone and use tetherme program.

The personal hotspot in settings allows for tethering without jailbroken phone, but it will use up your data from your
provider and if you don't have a Big data plan say 6gb or more, then you will pay through the nose for using data without an account or having a huge data plan and going over the limit.

XamDam said:
This is correct any free tethering would need a jailbroken phone and use tetherme program.

The personal hotspot in settings allows for tethering without jailbroken phone, but it will use up your data from your
provider and if you don't have a Big data plan say 6gb or more, then you will pay through the nose for using data without an account or having a huge data plan and going over the limit.

Actually using TetherMe still uses data out of your plan.

When tethering is activated through your carrier it is monitored as separate data use.

When you use TetherMe from Cydia...the data usage from tethering is not separated from the cellular data plan. It just shows as regular data usage even tho it's tethering usage.

Actually using TetherMe still uses data out of your plan.

When tethering is activated through your carrier it is monitored as separate data use.

When you use TetherMe from Cydia...the data usage from tethering is not separated from the cellular data plan. It just shows as regular data usage even tho it's tethering usage.

Carriers can tell when you tether though. If they see someone's account go from 1-2gb usage every month to 10 or 20gb they're gonna flag your account and change it to a hotspot account so you'll have to pay for it. Ive seen and heard of providers doing this many times. I'm scared to do it because I have sprint unlimited and if they were to put me on a tethering plan from finding out im "illegally" tethering, I would only have 5gb a month and I use ALOT more than that a month without any tethering. Tethering is also a main reason why there's no more unlimited data on Verizon and AT&T. People tether and use so much data that companies see how much money they're missing out on so they cap speeds and charge you out the ass. Sprint is so slow because people tether on it. I used to tether on virgin mobile which is on the sprint network, before I got my iPhone on sprint and I would tether every day. In a month one time I used 90gb of data. Shortly after that virgin mobile capped they're data speeds after 2.5gb because everyone was taking advantage of the unlimited.

Chris951 said:
Carriers can tell when you tether though. If they see someone's account go from 1-2gb usage every month to 10 or 20gb they're gonna flag your account and change it to a hotspot account so you'll have to pay for it. Ive seen and heard of providers doing this many times. I'm scared to do it because I have sprint unlimited and if they were to put me on a tethering plan from finding out im "illegally" tethering, I would only have 5gb a month and I use ALOT more than that a month without any tethering. Tethering is also a main reason why there's no more unlimited data on Verizon and AT&T. People tether and use so much data that companies see how much money they're missing out on so they cap speeds and charge you out the ass. Sprint is so slow because people tether on it. I used to tether on virgin mobile which is on the sprint network, before I got my iPhone on sprint and I would tether every day. In a month one time I used 90gb of data. Shortly after that virgin mobile capped they're data speeds after 2.5gb because everyone was taking advantage of the unlimited.

There is a solution to that dilemma ya know.

Don't tether so damn much!lol.

All ya have to do is not go overboard...and your good.

I use TetherMe...but I rarely use it.

There is no point in tethering just because you can...which is what I think a lot of people do.

I have had TetherMe installed for a few months and only used it like 3 times or something.

And they cannot tell that your tethering in a literal sense.

They see high data usage and assume you are using a tethering extension. And they're usually right...but nevertheless...they don't know for sure.

And they cannot tell that your tethering in a literal sense.

They see high data usage and assume you are using a tethering extension. And they're usually right...but nevertheless...they don't know for sure.

Actually it would take less than one minute to tell you where tethering and they would be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. IE it would hold up in court.

Just because the cellular providers aren't actively trying, doesn't mean they can't do it.

Skull One said:
Actually it would take less than one minute to tell you where tethering and they would be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. IE it would hold up in court.

Just because the cellular providers aren't actively trying, doesn't mean they can't do it.

This I am aware of.

I thought the latest version of TetherMe has built in capabilities to hide the fact your tethering?

Like i said if you go over your data plan then expect reprocussions from your carrier.

I have not tethered in about 3yrs and i only did so once to try it out and i tethered my PC to
my phone plan i had 3yrs ago 500mb of data went pretty fast :)

I can see if ppl only have a mobile for internet and have a ipad or laptop and wish to
see a bigger screen while surfing the internet or need to use itunes on that laptop wanting to tether
instead of paying for two data account plans.

I don't own a ipad or PC (anymore) or a laptop all i have is my iphone 4 and i can tell you
the screen gets blurry after awhile looking at it when on internet or playing games that i
buy a laptop or ipad soon i sure as hell going to tether as i ain't paying for two data accounts.

I have a 6gb plan and only pay 20.00 a month for it and i could go higher of need to be for only a few more
dollars more. I only use about 2-3gb a month, well some months i use about 1gb. So its not like i need any more
data right now.

I have used just over 2gb so far this month and i have about 18 more days to go before the 6gb reverts back to 0 for another month.

I thought the latest version of TetherMe has built in capabilities to hide the fact your tethering?.

Nope. You can't hide how much data you are using. Your service provider can see your data usage and will flag you if they want to and/or if your data usage spikes from tethering. They can see if you're tethering regardless, but if it's not an excess of data usage every month then they won't usually care.

Nope. You can't hide how much data you are using. Your service provider can see your data usage and will flag you if they want to and/or if your data usage spikes from tethering. They can see if you're tethering regardless, but if it's not an excess of data usage every month then they won't usually care.

Ah i see now as if your on a laptop or ipad they will require more data to download even a website instead of mobile devices do. Yes i get it as long as your not going overboard or spiking a lot i am sure they won't care like u noted.

Thks for clarifying it up for me.

Hey Skull One yes i guess its a myth busted :)

Ah i see now as if your on a laptop or ipad they will require more data to download even a website instead of mobile devices do. Yes i get it as long as your not going overboard or spiking a lot i am sure they won't care like u noted.

Thks for clarifying it up for me.

Hey Skull One yes i guess its a myth busted :)

Finished my article on it early. Posted here - Can cellular providers detect if you are tethering?