What's new

iPhone on wifi only?

idave23

Reaction score
A friend just bought an unlocked 5 for his wife to use while in China. When it's here they want to use it over their home wifi only without any data plan. From what I understand he'll need a SIM card of some sort. What's the simplest and cheapest way for him to do this?

Visit a network shop in that country and pick up a pre pay nano sim.

If they don't want to pay for or use data then simply turn off that function in the iPhones settings.

Settings.
General.

Mobile data /cellular data toggle set to off

If you don't turn this to off then when the iPhone goes into sleep mode it will revert from wifi to 3g as it does this to conserve battery, which will incur data charges !

Last edited:
So will that card allow him to then use the phone on his home wifi when she brings it back?

The nano sim will only work in the country it was meant for.

Hooking up to wifi allows the owner to access the Internet on their iPhone.

So I'm back to my original question. What does he need to do to be able to use his wifi without a contract?

A SIM card needs to be in the iPhone to Use many of its functions

All you need to do in your country is get a pay as you go nano sim and activate it.

An alternative may be to remove all sims and reset network settings and wifi may work

Last edited:
The SIM doesn't have to be activated for the phone to connect to the Internet via WiFi, it just has to be in the holder. I have my old iPhone 4S with a deactivated SIM card, and it works fine on WiFi.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

A friend just bought an unlocked 5 for his wife to use while in China. When it's here they want to use it over their home wifi only without any data plan. From what I understand he'll need a SIM card of some sort. What's the simplest and cheapest way for him to do this?

That's an expensive way to go to just be able to use the phone in China and then not be able to use it as a phone in the US. You have to have a data plan to use it as a phone here. Why not buy an iPod for the US and then use a throw away or rent a phone through a carrier for use in China?

Oh, I reread and see that he's already bought it. If they want to use it as a phone at all here in the US, they have to have a data plan. I doesn't matter that they plan to use wifi. (unless they are going to use it as an iPod and no phone usage)

The SIM doesn't have to be activated for the phone to connect to the Internet via WiFi, it just has to be in the holder. I have my old iPhone 4S with a deactivated SIM card, and it works fine on WiFi.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator
So in theory they could just leave the SIM card they get in China in the phone and use their wifi here?

Oh, I reread and see that he's already bought it. If they want to use it as a phone at all here in the US, they have to have a data plan. I doesn't matter that they plan to use wifi. (unless they are going to use it as an iPod and no phone usage)
Yes, they just want to use it as a phone in China and for internet access at home, at least for now. I know it doesn't sound like the ideal use for an iPhone but it's theirs so I don't question why. I'm just trying to get an informed answer for him and this is the best place I know to do it. ;)

Maybe not. I have an iPhone 5 with a T-Mobile plan. NO DATA. I pay $100.00 per year. Period. No other charges. I use the phone with wifi data only. I've had it for about 4 months now with no problems.