What's new

iphone not charging

craigsouth

Reaction score
about a week ago i wake up to my phone not charged even though it was plugged in all night. Anyhow, after taking it to verizon and apple i am no longer under warranty. Apple tried to charge me $280 to diagnose it. I said no! I figured the problem was the charging port so i went and ordered a new one. Replaced it today and it still doesn't work. Should i replace the battery? Im really having a tough time not having a phone for the past 10 days and this will just have me wait longer. Any suggestions? thanks!

Welcome to iPhoneForums, craigsouth!

Before you change the battery: did you also try different cables, a different charger, and do you always plug into the same wall socket? If so, try a different one. It's possible that the one you're using all the time is not working any more.

Yea i tried about 5 chargers plus 2 in the verizon store and the one in the apple store

Here's something else to try:
Restarting, resetting, putting your device into recovery mode and restoring it.

Plug in your device, try turning it on again.

Reset: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both. It will power up on it's own.

Here are the instructions for recovery mode:
If you can t update or restore your iPhone iPad or iPod touch - Apple Support

Well, Apple will not charge you 280$ for nothing, and of course they wanted to charge u that amount because the problem is not from your USB port, your problem should br from the Charging AC, or the charging pathway through the board, that's why you've been charged that amount because this problem can be fixed easily at all.

Well i just ordered a new battery. we will see if that will do it. If not maybe ill replace the motherboard. I just think $280 is ridiculous to charge me for a product they should stand behind.

Apple is standing behind their product. The $280.00 charge is what an out of warranty repair costs. You'll not find any company that won't charge a fee for an out of warranty repair. Apple may charge more than an independent repair shop but you'll end up with a good as new or factory refurbished iPhone, with a warranty on the repair.

Yea i agree on that, but I'm pretty poor right now so i have to resort to fixing it myself. If replacing the battery doesn't work, i would assume i need a new motherboard?

Did you try resetting your iPhone, as described in my post? (Home/power button)
Before you try anything else, reset your device. Press and hold both buttons until you see the Apple logo. Sometimes this can last up to 30 seconds or even more. If the Apple logo appears, let it power up. Sometimes the iPhone doesn't charge because of a problem with the software. The reset will help getting rid of it.

i have tried resetting it holding those buttons for like 5 minutes . a blinking battery with little red and a lighting bolt appear.

i have tried resetting it holding those buttons for like 5 minutes . a blinking battery with little red and a lighting bolt appear.
That means that your battery is almost completely discharged and doesn't have enough power left to turn on.

OK guys, I have put in a new battery and charged it some. I still cannot do anything on the phone. It will not restore when i plug it into iTunes. says an unknown error. When i hold both buttons the iTunes symbol and the plug appear with brown stripes. Anyone have any idea what this means?