What's new

iPhone Mythbusting! Let's separate the facts from the fiction.

crowd pleaser said:
Can i offer one myth - there will come a day will be an out and out iPhone beater :) :) :).

I'm still using the 4, been the most reliable phone i've owned since the (contractors favorite) Nokia 3310.

Skull great thread, not being critical most of your work so far revolves around the battery and loads, in my field as a security engineer i have run many many battery tests over the years, had to diagnose why in some cases they performed less well. i know the variables are affected by battery age, charger performance, load, heat also tolerance spread.

As example,alarm standby batteries on average last between 3 - 5 years yet some I've known to last 20 years and still going strong (tested with an ACT Gold)

You have used one phone for your tests, you would obviously use your phone differently to any others, charge at different times, different sources. Greatest respect given for efforts made, but i wonder can these test results be taken as more than a 'straw pole' example rather rhan accuracy?

Alan

Skull great thread, not being critical most of your work so far revolves around the battery and loads, in my field as a security engineer i have run many many battery tests over the years, had to diagnose why in some cases they performed less well. i know the variables are affected by battery age, charger performance, load, heat also tolerance spread.

As example,alarm standby batteries on average last between 3 - 5 years yet some I've known to last 20 years and still going strong (tested with an ACT Gold)

You have used one phone for your tests, you would obviously use your phone differently to any others, charge at different times, different sources. Greatest respect given for efforts made, but i wonder can these test results be taken as more than a 'straw pole' example rather rhan accuracy?

Alan

My post was to address only one item about charging the iPhone battery. How many stages were used and when do they engage. This only requires one phone to accomplish the task.

Anything beyond that would be impossible to test. The Lithium-Ion salt alone can and will be different in batteries being made on the same production line just mere seconds apart. Which is what your point addresses and I concur with 100%.

Skull One said:
My post was to address only one item about charging the iPhone battery. How many stages were used and when do they engage. This only requires one phone to accomplish the task.

Anything beyond that would be impossible to test. The Lithium-Ion salt alone can and will be different in batteries being made on the same production line just mere seconds apart. Which is what your point addresses and I concur with 100%.

Many thanks Skull, like many i look forward to more of your writing and informed myth busting :).

crowd pleaser said:
i'm interested in aspect, my Nokia N95 did tethering without a problem to my laptop, the iPhone seems to as i get a message, but it don't actually work :(.

Mine tethers to both the laptops in my apartment just fine. Quick and easy. I don't even have to connect. Once I enable tethering my laptop just connects to my phone automatically.

zig9449 said:
Mine tethers to both the laptops in my apartment just fine. Quick and easy. I don't even have to connect. Once I enable tethering my laptop just connects to my phone automatically.

I can't even tether my ipad2 to my iPhone;
4 :(

I would like to see Skull One do a myth busting post on iPhone batteries and magnets.

Can we try it on iOS6? just asking as I have already the version 6, so thought to ask if we can test on gadget with version-6?

crowd pleaser said:
I can't even tether my ipad2 to my iPhone;
4 :(

just to say, i managed finally to tether my ipad2 - then i get advised of additional data costs :( (T-Mobile).

this was nice :)
its a lil too complicated for me... but im glad someone did it..
if u can do it, so can i..
thats the motto to life LOL

Nice thread...

Seeing as though I am a new convert to the I-phone...I have a myth I would love to have exploded..and that is the I-phone cost too much..and in that...that all of the worth while apps cost way more..and even the phones cost way more for what your getting.

Having been a android guy for basically for ever..these have been bantered about for so long they need to have the true story told.

For my own ..I know this is utterly false...besides my signal strength in various places has improved dramatically over a couple of brand new G3's and by what I downloaded this week and today has proven this to a few of my friends...however convincing some the other loggerheads I deal with might not be so easy..and why I am requesting this..

Thanks for your consideration

Mac