What's new

iPhone + iPod

iGaz

Reaction score
I've just bought an iPod for my daughters christmas as she's always on my phone playing her games and taking pictures.

I know you can set them up as either as having the same or different stuff but, is there a way to make it somewhere in between?

I would like to keep her apps on my phone as well as the ipod (without having to pay for them twice) but I would also like to let her have her own music and pictures on it. Is it just as simple as setting them up as different devices and using the same itunes account...?

Yes you can set them up on the same account as two different devices. In iTunes hit the CTRL + , keys (that's the Control key and the Comma key together), then go to the DEVICES tab, and check the box beside PREVENT IPODS, IPHONES AND IPADS FROM SYNCING AUTOMATICALLY text. This way if you or she have and app or song you want to have only on your iDevice, it won't automatically sync. download it to, the first iDevice connected to iTunes. When your iDevice is connected to iTunes you can select any app or songs you want synced to your iDevice, and she will be able to do the same.

That's good then. I thought there would be a way. Would be silly of apple not to.

I've had a play about with syncing the apps separate and got that to work right. I'll also do what you said so to make life easier and so there's no accidents!

Thanks...

I've had a play about with syncing the apps separate and got that to work right. I'll also do what you said so to make life easier and so there's no accidents!

Thanks...

Yeah, gaz.., I've got a war story about iTunes and synching! Today I tried it for the first time on one of my phones and lost almost everything!! Long story short, the default synch settings in iTunes are dangerous!! It took me a long time to get my phone back to the way it was, and now I'm afraid to ever put it on the PC again and have iTunes mess it up again. I know about the "back-up" function, but.....
Then Pocobear above mentioned something about having to hit Ctrl plus , to perform a function!!! What the **** Is this the way software should be written???
Question: Is there a way I can set up iTunes to leave my phone alone (synch-wise) BEFORE I hook it up? That way, I can synch individual items as I see fit after I plug it in.

Thanks for letting me unwind!!! :D

It's just a shortcut to get to a certain menu. There are loads of them but you can still access them from the tabs at the top. The shortcuts are shown beside them.

As for syncing, you do have to be careful. It could be set out alot better. iTunes will automatically make a backup of your phone before doing anything to it. So even if it does wipe your phone or a part of it because you forgot to check a box you can get it back easily just buy checking the box and pressing apply in the bottom right corner...