What's new

iPhone iMovie not retaining original video clip

legend81

Reaction score
I edited my video using iMovie. I truncated the clip into two pieces. I thought the original clip would be retained. But unfortunately it didn't and I lost part of my video clip. Is there a way to retain the original clip?

Check recently deleted? I use iMovie all the time and have never lost the original video. It should still be in your camera roll, but if not, check recently deleted.

Check recently deleted? I use iMovie all the time and have never lost the original video. It should still be in your camera roll, but if not, check recently deleted.

Hi Ninja
Recently deleted folder is empty. Cannot find my original video.
I opened the video with iMovie and used the truncation tool to cut out a portion of the video assuming that it would save this one as a new file but it didn't for some reason it over wrote the original file. After truncation I clicked the apply button and pop up said "exporting video". I thought that meant creating a new file.

That is so weird. I didn't even know it was possible to overwrite the original movie.

I don't know what you mean by apply button though. Where do you see that at?

I always hit done, and then from there it's only saved in iMovie. You can export it to you camera roll from there, or YouTube, etc, but you have to tell it to do it, it doesn't do it automatically. When you click to export it to camera roll, it's an all new video, and the original is still there in the camera roll as well.