What's new

Iphone icloud password lost

Sorry if this topic already posted before. I don't know where else to turn to. My boss got an iphone 7 which he wishes to sell off or give to his niece to use. Unfortunately, he forgotten which email he used for the icloud and don't even recall the password.

Previously he had an iphone 6 as well but the problem was just passcode lock which I could clear with the help from your posts.

But for iphone 7, if forgotten icloud email or password no other way?

Does he remember password so he could open settings on the iphone?
In that case he could see the apple id from there and then use password recovery on apple support.

If he can't get by the passcode lock he may have to call Apple support for help. They may have a way to send a code to unlock the phone. But I am sure proof of purchase will be required. Or at least some form or verification of the owner of the phone. But it's worth a try. Better than having a $6-700 brick laying Around!!!

You are completely right if he in fact used multiple email addresses for his Apple account. Me I have my main and my rescue email. Whatever other mail I have isn't associated with my Apple account. Pays to write things down!!! I have to do it as you get too many passwords and it confuses the crap out of me anyhow!! Can't go wrong with them written down and placed securely away somewhere. Better than having an expensive paper weight laying around!!

But I think the poster is speaking about not having the pin to even unlock the phone to get to anything else. He is stuck at this point unless he or the owner can prove it's not stolen and that there is some form of proof of purchase or ownership of the phone. Without a pin to unlock the phone itself, he is in a bad way I'm afraid. Maybe he can get it all sorted through Apple with the right info on his part. I wish him luck. And if he has the pin to unlock the phone, it's then up to an email address that he can find a password for and that is linked to the account for that phone. It won't be easy, but it may not be impossible with some effort. Better than having a very expensive paperweight!!!

But I think the poster is speaking about not having the pin to even unlock the phone to get to anything else. He is stuck at this point unless he or the owner can prove it's not stolen and that there is some form of proof of purchase or ownership of the phone. Without a pin to unlock the phone itself, he is in a bad way I'm afraid. Maybe he can get it all sorted through Apple with the right info on his part. I wish him luck. And if he has the pin to unlock the phone, it's then up to an email address that he can find a password for and that is linked to the account for that phone. It won't be easy, but it may not be impossible with some effort. Better than having a very expensive paperweight!!!
The iPhone the OP is talking about has a forgotten iCloud password and email address, not the regular unlock password. If the problem were only a forgotten unlocking password, restoring the iPhone to factory settings will get rid of it. Unfortunately, in order to erase this iPhone, the OP also needs the forgotten iCloud ID and password in order to turn off Find My iPhone before erasing the iPhone.

Ok all things being equal, he must have a bank statement, receipt or some other proof of ownership.
As someone has already said!
If the "owner" wants this iPhone to function then then they must do some digging.
That's my opinion.

The other option is to buy a nice frame for it, bang a nail in his office wall, and hang it there, that would remind him not to forget his iCloud email address again.

Just something to think about: a $700 dollar investment less than a year ago, the owner is a boss, and at least two people working for 'the boss' trying to get this phone's iCloud unlocked. Is this the boss' first iPhone and iDevice? How many email addresses does the boss have? Is this the only device (including Mac or PC) available with access to email accounts belonging to the boss? Who (if not the boss) set up the iPhone?

Many more questions along these lines...

The OP's post is most likely legitimate (following orders without question), the bosses request maybe not.

Just something to think about: a $700 dollar investment less than a year ago, the owner is a boss, and at least two people working for 'the boss' trying to get this phone's iCloud unlocked. Is this the boss' first iPhone and iDevice? How many email addresses does the boss have? Is this the only device (including Mac or PC) available with access to email accounts belonging to the boss? Who (if not the boss) set up the iPhone?

Many more questions along these lines...

The OP's post is most likely legitimate (following orders without question), the bosses request maybe not.

That's exactly my point. If the boss in the OP is expecting the poster to do all this without any help from (him)...it looks very fishy to me.

Reactions: 933
I can unlock the screen lock. I just can't reset the phone to factory settings. Can still use whatever existing app. Just if next time need to add app, will need password verification correct? Anyway, not gonna fuss about it since already told him I can't do it. I'm the IT personnel for the company. But knowledge of IT doesn't mean I can solve everything.

If you can unlock the phone, go to .settings, where at the top the user's ID will show. Alternatively, go the App Store or ITunes and scroll to the very bottom, where again you will see the Apple User ID. This is what you need to get another password from Apple.

Unfortunately, not everybody saves their receipts.

Unless we have evidence to the contrary, we have to assume that a member's post is legitimate.

I had a similar problem and contacted Apple Support.They insisted on me providing a "proof of purchase". I am aware that retailers in the UK have to keep records of proof of purchase for 5 or 6 years. In my case my iPhone 6 was 2 years old. I contacted Three and explained what was needed.I received my proof of purchase within 10 days. I then went to my local Apple Store and had my phone sorted in 5 mins! As I had no service for 10 days Three compensated me by crediting my account which was very generous.I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.